• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling vacuum on intake to test for leaks?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I suspect i have a very slight intake manifold gasket leak but before i pull the manifold to replace gasket i want to be sure.

My idea is to plug the vacuum niples on the intake,block off the throttle body,remove the rockers so all intake valves will be closed at the same time and pull a vacuum on the manifold.

Sound plan?

No. Sorry, there will always be at least one intake valve open.

I did that....no change in idle.

Old man;
I have to disagree with you....with rockers unbolted all valves are closed.(im sure you already know that so i assume you missed it in the original post)

Im shelfing the idea for now...if its leaking its very minor.(i can hear it sounds like someone inhaling on a harmonica on a real low note)

Will retorque manifold bolts after another heat cycle.

Spraying with carb cleaner or using propane around the intake ports, injectors etc is a better way to isolate vacuum leaks.

Old man;
I have to disagree with you....with rockers unbolted all valves are closed.(im sure you already know that so i assume you missed it in the original post)
You are right, I missed that. But all that messy work :nono:

Back