• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carrier noise?

Yeti87

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I have just finished pulling my carrier out and doing the inner seals on my d30.

I accidently slipped my mallet when tapping the bearing races into the place and hit the ring gear a couple times.

Can this cause any problems? I am by no means a gear expert and I am starting to feel in over my head on this one.

My other concern is I put my axles back in bolted the hub on and when I spin my axles shafts I get a clicking as from my spider gears? This dosent happen when I am spinning my drive shaft and the whole assembly spins. Is this a concern as well?
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Hitting the ring gear with a soft faced hammer (mallet) is not really going to do any damage. You are more likely to damage the mallet. I would think clicking is more from u-joints in the axle shafts or some other hub noise than from the differential?

Sadly I just swapped out the u joints while I had it all out. I'll see what it sounds like when I put it back on the road, I gotta wait for my steering to come in first. Worse come to worse I'll have to take it in to the shop

Sorry FOD? No tight spots, the shafts spin freely. They just click strangely enough I'll pull the calls and look thanks!

fod, foreign objects, crap, debris. A lot of the plastic mallets shed little peices of it. Brass ones too... it can fall in behind the bearings...

^^ very true. I usually put a shop towel on the carrier and strike that. Were the bearing races and caps put back in their original positions? If cleaned, were they lubed?

Back