• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power windows

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
97XJ, 435,000 miles.

The rear passenger window on the XJ goes down fine but will not go up using its door switch. Currently it is half way down, and I can lower it easily with the actual door switch, but can't raise it? The drivers door switch panel is almost not working at all for any window.

I know that I need to really go through the wiring and fix the cable in the drivers door, etc. But it is raining and would like to know how to get the 1 window back up and then do the whole job on the weekend.

Any easy fix for this? It seems odd that the switch is only working 1 way.

Any help appreciated-

Thanks-

Our years (97+) are notorious for this. For the drivers switch panel, you want to either replace it with a new controller, or take it out and put a dab of solder on every pin on the board. I actually found it on youtube at one point. They develop tiny cracks over time and start acting up. Good luck.

Gravity is helping the motor draw the glass down. I bet the motor is barely functional and will need to be replaced. Are you sure your battery is good, though? Much easier fix and this could also be a sign of a bad battery. Do the other windows work fine? Easiest way to rule out the battery right now.

Gravity is helping the motor draw the glass down. I bet the motor is barely functional and will need to be replaced. Are you sure your battery is good, though? Much easier fix and this could also be a sign of a bad battery. Do the other windows work fine? Easiest way to rule out the battery right now.

The battery is new and the drivers window goes down perfectly, but I really have to have the switch in the right spot for it to go up. I know I have to really go through and work on all the wires, but I just don't get why the window goes down so easily but not up at all.

The motor sounds perfectly functional, only likes down and not up.???

The motor sounds perfectly functional, only likes down and not up.???

Perfectly normal if the motor has lost it's umph. If you can hotwire it and the window goes up easily, then it's wiring. If not, the motor needs replacement. That glass is really heavy and takes it's toll on the motors after 20+ years.

Perfectly normal if the motor has lost it's umph. If you can hotwire it and the window goes up easily, then it's wiring. If not, the motor needs replacement. That glass is really heavy and takes it's toll on the motors after 20+ years.

Interesting observation I had last night (in the dark) I noticed that ALL of the window buttons were glowing brightly. When I tried to put up the rear passenger window, the light in that switch went off (dark). It happened when I used the drivers door switch or the rear passenger window switch.

I noticed when I put the other windows up or down, the light only dimmed.

Does the fact that the light in the rear door switch goes completely off (darK0 when I try to put up the window help diagnose the problem better? I really doubt that it is the motor, as the motor has plenty of ohmpf going down, but nothing going up.

Your ground is probably loose or you have a short somewhere. The first test of hotwiring the motor will tell you if that's true.

Thank you for your response.
How do I find the ground for the window?
How do I hot wire the motor to get the window to go up?

Thank you for your help-
Jeff

I don't have a wiring diagram, but that is where you should start. I just trace wires and use my multimeter if I'm troubleshooting electrical issues. Start taking the door apart and look for bare wires that you can tape up since you will need to have it apart to gain access to the terminals on the motor anyway.

Gravity is helping the motor draw the glass down.

This^^^

Also the window tracks can wear over time causing enough slop that the window could bind going up. Which is why, for now, you need a second set of hands to pull the window up while the switch is being pushed.

Back