• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommendations for new clutch package

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
So the other day my clutch pedal went to the floor and stayed there. Stalled, got it going again, but happened again about 1 hr later (city driving.) Fluid doesn't seem low but how full up is resivoir supposed to be. In any case I'm thinking slave or Th-bearing in which case I may as well put in a new clutch (+main seal?) while it's accessible. I am looking for advice and recommendations on reliable parts. My Heep is stock and a beater but also a DD. Looking at the Luk but heard good and bad, mostly about the hydraulics.

Any help in diagnosis or parts/sources greatly appreciated.. thx yall.

1991 4.0HO 4x4 sport 5 speed

Before I would touch the main clutch (unless you know for sure it is not in the hydraulics), I would replace the master and slave cylinder. This will be the cheapest place to start and something you can do yourself.

If this does not solve the issue, then the more expensive route may be in your future.

Proper fluid level in the reservoir does not have to be an indication that everything is OK. If the seals are bad in the master or slave, fluid will move past the pistons creating zero force.

In the 16 years I have owned my '96, I have replaced my slave cylinder once and the master/slave replaced in November of last year. Neither time was the fluid level low or any leaks present.

Tom

I have a LUK in my XJ, and have had no issues with the actual clutch. However, the TO bearing is now made with a plastic sleeve and a cheap retaining clip. This had literally just failed the other day. I would normally recommend it, but having to buy a real TO bearing with the kit to replace the cheap one I would steer away unless buying an extra part isn't an issue. But I would stick with checking hydraulics first, unless it is clear there is an issue with the actual clutch

question: which TO bearing exactly (brand, etc.) did you buy to go with the clutch. I am pretty sure I have the internal slave, so if replacing that, probably going to replace a lot more at the time. My clutch was replaced in '05. Perhaps it is is just the MC. It is quite loud/rattley when I push in the clutch, which has me a bit worried about the TO. Keep the suggestions coming, Thx everyone

Any more ideas out there on this? What is a good brand of T-Bearing to replace the LUK one. Also, does anyone have experience with these MC-SC combos. If I'm getting in there I'm going to replace everything. Thx much for any info-advice..

- TJ

'91 should have a "composite" brake line between the master and the slave.... replace that SHIT with an AN line. Advance adapters sells them, but make sure you get the right one.

Back