• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 vs. 2000

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
So I found a good deal on a 2000 XJ that I might pick up today. I am really looking for a 1999 but this is a clean 2000. I know the heads are different and the 2000 has more smog shit on it. I also know that they did away with the distributor on the 2000.

What issues do the 2000 have? Should I just suck it up and buy this one? it has 170K on it but runs super smooth and fires right up.

Im in no rush to buy one so I can be picky and wait for the 1999 to show up.

2000 has the low pinion Dana 30 - Some say the high pinion is stronger/better/sexier ( I don't care and my 00 has been just fine with the LP )

You have either the California OR the Federal emissions package, so a 2000 ONLY has more smog shit with Cali emissions.

Like you said, coil rail and not distributor - I actually find it easier to change plugs with the rail; diagnostics are non-existent though, you can't pull a wire and see what happens.

And then the 0331 head...Keep it cool and it should be okay. People have trashed talked my old Ford 2.9L with bad cracking heads. It's gone 300k and purrs on everyday. Maintenance and luck of the draw will see you through on this one.

LP vs HP is an easy fix. The CA emissions system is more expensive to maintain because there are 4 O2's and the pre-cats. 0331 heads just need periodic preventative cooling system maintence. Keep the 0331 cool and it will be OK. I have never needed to pull a plug wire on my 2000.

Some people don't like the coil pack but they are long lived and require less maintenance. Wires, cap, rotor, distributor, and coil are replaced with one coil pack that requires no maintenance and can last 200,000+ miles.

If you have the CA emissions then you'll have the pre-cats which are expensive to replace and 4 O2 sensors. One reason they use LP axles when CA emissions came out is to make sure the axle would clear the pre-cats. While its accepted that HP axles are stronger, how many people do you know that have blown their LP in a way that a HP would't have blown?

If you don't have CA emissions, only Federal, then you get a two piece cast iron manifold and a different Y pipe neither of which are known to crack, compared to earlier years.

In terms of repair cost, 2000-2001 are more expensive, because if there is a head problem you'll end up paying $500 for a new head. And if the pre-cats fail that's several hundred more than the earlier years. But if the 2000 already has good tires & is the color you want, then it may be worth it.

Back