• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radiators wont last

jeeptorino68

NAXJA Forum User
i have been through so many radiators, usually every year or two. was using aluminum core with plastic tanks until about this time 2 years ago when i get a CSF all metal.
the CSF is now leaking at the seam in the tank at the bottom passenger side. now i can just take this and get it repaired, or do it myself. but i am wondering why this keeps happening?
is the front uni body flexing too much?

I've had just about the same thing happen on numerous radiators in three different XJ's. Seems like when the OEM finally dies the replacements don't last. Plastic end tank, metal end tank, aluminum, brand name, store brand, I've tried numerous replacements. The only difference being the price, they all seem to not last very long. Always seems to spring a leak somewhere on the right (inflow) side on a seam

One thing I've noticed is they skimp on materials, the radiators just don't seem to weigh as much as OEM. Best guess is they are using thinner materials during construction. The price of copper is high, they save by using thinner copper.

I got a Crown radiator, heavy duty, fairly cheap. Really heavy, built like a brick, made in Taiwan. It has been lasting fine so far. I'm not a big fan of Crown parts, but so far I've no complaints with this radiator and it was cheap.

The only real downside I could see with it is the packaging. The filler neck sits right against the side of the box, just asking for the UPS guy to crack it throwing the box around.

The old 70's Dodge trucks used to do about the same thing. We finally figured out that supporting the end tanks at the bottom, with a shot of foam, really helped. Best guess is the hammering on dirt roads and the weight of the tank eventually stressed the seem.

Last edited:
motor mounts were bad, replaced with browndog.
the CSF i am running was probably used 50/50 on old (stock mounts) and browndog mounts. but i am sure the old worn out mounts didnt help...

Best radiator, IMO, from both a cooling and durability standpoint, is Mopar's own HD Cherokee radiator.
PN 52080104AC
1-1/2" thick, dual core.
I have been running them, in several XJs, for many years, without any problems
They are OEM quality.

Back