• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange transmission issue

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
97 XJ AW4 Auto 4x4 lifted on 33s with 268,000 miles New engine as of Nov. 2015

Well I have owned my Jeep for 13 1/2 years so I know where the shift points. I pulled out of my neighborhood and I noticed I was turning 3000 RPM at 40 MPH. Now this was odd because it was too high and I wasn't heavy on the throttle. So I try giving it a little more and then it's almost as if it fell into neutral but not quite as I continued moving just not increasing speed or decresing. So it kept moving at 40 MPH but I could get on and let off the throttle and it dropped to 2000 RPM and then when I gave it throttle it surged to above 3000 RPM with no change in speed so almost like it was in neutral. It did this for about 1/4 of a mile and then I let off the throttle completely and let it slow down to about 30 MPH and then tried giving it throttle again and then it was all back to normal. The transmission has 268,000 miles on it but I have always maintained it well flushing it every 50,000-60,000 miles but I called around recently and nobody will flush it anymore, only a drain and full with a new filter due to the mileage. Only problem I have ever had with this trans was in 2006 a solenoid went bad and I had to shift it manually because in drive it would hold in 4th at all times.

Am I looking at the beginning of the end of this transmission?

Ok so that does seem to make sense about a lazy Torque Converter solenoid. It shift fine 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 but 4th is like it's in neutral. But if I put it in the 3 position it shifts just fine.

Well a little update, this is definitely an issue that is going to stick around until it is fixed. I can manage to get around in the 3 position well enough but I am roaring along at 3000 RPM at 45-50 mph. Sometimes it clears up and drives normal after a little while.

I am definitely thinking at this point it is electrical. I ordered a kit off ebay that was posted in the other thread that Colonel Panik linked above and it will get me all 3 solenoids, a filter, and a pan seal. My trans kickdown cable is also heavily frayed where it attaches to the throttle body so I ordered a new cable to replace it while I already have the pan off as well.

I am going to try and empty the the trans completely too by using the supply and return lines for the cooler. I put a B&M cooler on this thing several years ago so the lines are easily accessible. I will dump the supply line for the cooler into a 5 gallon white bucket with the lines running down the edge of the bucket like you would when filling a beer glass trying to reduce the amount of foam in the beer. This way I can watch when the fluid changes from brown to red. But I will then put a funnel in the return line and poor more fluid in it as it comes out. Unless y'all think I can just pour it in the dipstick tube. Either way this will help me from having to go through so much trans fluid than doing the drain and fill method the mixes old fluid with new fluid and just change the pan fluid out until it cycles out the old fluid.

I think I may try some Lucas oil trans treatment too when I fill it for the final time. Hoping all this will fix my issue and breath some life back into my old high mileage transmission. I pray the dear lord lets this thing get to atleast 300,000 before giving me issues again because I'm getting married in May and don't have the funds to replace this trans before or even well after the wedding.

Last edited:
Good luck with the solenoid kit. It was a pretty easy install for me and it made a huge difference. In addition to my torque converter refusing to lock up at random times, I had one instance where it wouldn't even shift out of first gear. I was worried the whole tranny was shot, but the solenoid kit seems to have taken care of everything. The cooler helps, too.

Good luck with the solenoid kit. It was a pretty easy install for me and it made a huge difference. In addition to my torque converter refusing to lock up at random times, I had one instance where it wouldn't even shift out of first gear. I was worried the whole tranny was shot, but the solenoid kit seems to have taken care of everything. The cooler helps, too.

I'm putting it in today. I hope this cures my issues, right now it won't shift past 2nd gear in the 3 position or in Drive. I am not getting any codes either so wish me luck! I am having to pay out for our wedding in 3 months and a transmission just isn't possible right now.

Well gentlemen I am happy to report that my issue is fixed! Spent the day replacing all 3 solenoids, new filter and gasket, and a new kickdown cable. I'm pretty sure the middle solenoid was my issue because it came out in 3 pieces. The middle one was different from the other two with no brand name on it, simple "Made in USA" which had me disappointed being made here and broken the way it was. The other two were Aisin originals. I had an issue with the transmission back in 2006 that was a solenoid issue so that must have been the one they replaced. Anyways I have all new ones now so hopefully I won't have another issue for a while.

Excellent news. Those solenoids seem to go bad fairly often in the high mileage Jeeps. They can test OK, but still fail during regular usage, so I always suggest swapping them out.

Excellent news. Those solenoids seem to go bad fairly often in the high mileage Jeeps. They can test OK, but still fail during regular usage, so I always suggest swapping them out.

The two "outer" solenoids were Aisin originals but the middle one was completely different and that was the one the seem to be the issue. The plastic piece that inserts into the valve body broke clean of as soon as I loosened the bolt holding it on. Also the bracket that held the solenoid to the valve body came right off the cylinder body of the solenoid as well so it came out in 3 pieces, the main body, the bracket, and the plastic end that inserts into the valve body.

This is the solenoid suspected to have been the issue.
3D8A92E2-25C8-441D-8ABA-DC26883DABA2_zpsujw2uycr.jpg

This is the final product, all 3 new solenoids in, new filter, and new kick down cable installed.
CC3C0DCE-B97E-47CF-AEC4-5F4F69D42402_zpser34bluz.jpg

Ben824, Good job! Thanks for the update.

Thanks for the help! Man what a difference this has made in the way the Jeep drives! The crack in the plastic piece that inserts into the valve body must have been cracked for a while causing a loss in fluid pressure in the valve body because the Jeep shifts much smoother and firmer that before and it doesn't feel like the Jeep is dragging anymore like the power is being lost in the transmission. Gas mileage is up now as a result. But remember when it rains it pours, now I have a P1491 code for the radiator fan that is working just fine so yay for me! Ugh!

Back