• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Hubs

Lilwhitewagon

NAXJA Forum User
So needing to do my wheel hubs, and was wanting to get some opinions and experiences from you guys. My first choice is Timkens....but I've heard some iffy experiences on the good ole' XJ/MJ Proud on Facebook. lol

I've heard some iffy experiences on the good ole' XJ/MJ Proud on Facebook. lol
I never heard of those people. I have read that Timken has boxed up some off-shore products. I have yet to see any Timken bearings not made in the USA.

Last July, I had to replace a unit bearing before a vacation trip. The morning I left, I did an internet search of my local auto parts. AutoZone was the only store that had one on the shelf. The counter person brought out a new, "Made in USA," Timken unit bearing. That was seven months ago, I hope they still sell Timken products. :)

Anyway, I'm not one of those kids that breaks anvils for fun and profit. I do run oversize tires, I also run close to stock back spacing. No problems to report with the unit bearings.

HTH

The Mopar online catalogs suggest that the factory used F.A.G. (German) unit hubs.

Timken or SKF are what I use in mine. The hubs appear to be machined at the same factory in the Czech Republic. I don't know if the bearings are any different. Timken typically either makes their own bearings or uses Koyo. SKF is a good brand. They either make the bearings themselves or use Koyo or NTN from Japan.

Timken is generally considered to be the best because they forge their own steel but will also repackage bearings that meets their quality requirements. I have bought Timken boxed bearings and found Japanese and German bearings inside, they work well so no complaints.

I bought SKF wheel hubs last time because they have the OEM-style removable rubber seal. Those can be regreased easier than bearings with the metal seals.

Overall, it seems that everyone has their issues with ANY Unit bearings.
For what it's worth, I have some cheap "ebay" Unit bearings, that have been in my XJ since 2012 or13 (before whenever Calico SCF was held)? No issues

Timken is getting out of the auto sector and focusing on big trucks, industrial, agriculture, etc. Koyo is slowly taking their place. I have a very good friend that is an engineer with a very well know OE and aftermarket manufacturer and he tells me that Koyo is a very high quality brand as well. If you can find them.

On unit bearings these days I lean to SKF, Koyo and Timken in that order.

1. Buy quality unit bearings.

2. Torque to 175 ft lbs. If you don't own a torque wrench, buy or rent one. If you just run the axle nut on with an impact until it stops moving, then your unit bearings won't last, no matter which brand you buy.

Back