• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disappearing coolant?

Throws

NAXJA Forum User
So, I do a weekly-ish check on fluids. I've got almost 250k miles, so I try and stay on top of it.

However, every so often I top up the coolant. It's not a heater leak as far as I can tell, since there no fogging and no smell. Oil looks normal, nothing obvious.

I'm planning on building up a new engine (eventually), but I'd like to see what I can address on this in the meantime.

Ideas?

-P
'99 XJ Auto 4.0L 4WD

I'd do an oil analysis (Blackstone) to see if coolant is present.

But, it could be a seeping water pump, leaking hose, etc. -something slow that isn't dripping on the ground.

New water pump, them, housing, rad, and all new hoses about 2000 miles ago (rad was leaking and PO ran copper Stop-Leak through it).

A failing radiator cap will cause coolant loss without any signs of leakage. It will escape as steam and then draw water from the overflow as it cools.

Look for obvious leaks.
Look under the oil filler cap for green goo, it's a 99, that means 0331 head, look in the filler hole with a flashlight you will see the head crack if it's there.
Check your transmission fluid for a foamy look.
You'll find it, good luck.

Last edited:
I had this recently with my 1987. It turned out to be the junction where the factory hose was crimped to factory piping right before the heater core. Slow drip that burned off on the engine.

A failing radiator cap will cause coolant loss without any signs of leakage. It will escape as steam and then draw water from the overflow as it cools.

Ok... New cap on order.

Look for obvious leaks.
Look under the oil filler cap for green goo, it's a 99, that means 0331 head, look in the filler hole with a flashlight you will see the head crack if it's there.
Check your transmission fluid for a foamy look.
You'll find it, good luck.

It's a 0630 head. Nothing weird about trans fluid.... nice and red.

I had this recently with my 1987. It turned out to be the junction where the factory hose was crimped to factory piping right before the heater core. Slow drip that burned off on the engine.

Replaced all the hoses and used new worms clamps.

Do you see bubbles in the coolant reservoir if its up to temp and you rev the engine while looking at the bottle?

I'll check that tomorrow.

Thanks!

Most 99's did not yet have the 0331 head. Any cream under the oil filler cap? After the basics like leaks and the cap, I'd do the oil analysis. I've used it over time to identify these problems and there's no fooling the lab. Potassium in oil = coolant = head gasket blown, head cracked, or worse. Some vehicles have coolant to oil heat exchangers that can cause the problem but Cherokee's don't have anything like that.

Back