• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proper Method to Bypass Heater Core 01 XJ?

erykv1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

Guess this Jeep is gonna get the best of me. Just replaced the radiator / waterpump / thermostat last weekend... and this week I've noticed my windows getting foggy and a smell of coolant when I use the heat. Also I can see some vapor coming through the vents when I drive.

I'm going to assume that this is your usual symptoms of heater core failure...

Anyways, I figure I will temporarily bypass the heater core for now just so I can get the windows to stop fogging up. I can live with no heat for a little bit. I need a break before I muster up the energy to pull the dash apart for this job.

Can anyone tell me if I can just pinch off the feed / return lines below until I can replace the core? Or what type of connectors I need to buy? I've read one hose is 5/8th and one is 11/16ths.

Thanks!

find a union fitting with the right input and output sizes and join the brown and teal hoses together. Run it and make sure it maintains pressure while you figure out how to fix the heater core.

find a union fitting with the right input and output sizes and join the brown and teal hoses together. Run it and make sure it maintains pressure while you figure out how to fix the heater core.

Just made this http://i.imgur.com/xpjxzO7.jpg

$23 bucks from the parts store. Should get me by. I was gonna just clamp off both those lines, but I read somewhere that the waterpump needs those lines to recirculate.

Yeah, you need to have flow. You could also just mount the brown hose to where the blue one is fitted and jam it down with a few hose clamps since it's only temporary. That will work as long as it doesn't leak but I've never tried that one so I can't guarantee success.

All you need to do is take a length of hose and create a loop that goes from the thermostat housing to that metal line coming of the water pump, add a hose clamp to each end and your done.

Back