• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Pinion seal leak

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
98 XJ Stock,wife,s DD . D-30,AW4,8.25 ,3:55.
As title states ,rear axle pinion seal has a severe leak. How much is involved in the repair? Special tools ?
Already have parts in hand.Probably more involved than i can handle at home.(Tools) and no shade tree,,,,,ground covered in snow,,,

Disconnect the drive shaft, pull the yoke off (1 1/8 nut I believe), pry seal out with flat screwdriver, replace with new seal, tap flush with mallet, replace yoke, tighten yoke nut (200-300 ft/lbs) and use red lock tite, replace driveshaft.

I don't know what severe is but if you've been running it dry, there could be more issues. If you can manage to keep it topped off and can wait till next week when it will probably be sunny and 80, I would.

Take the stress off of the drive line. I usually lift it at the pumpkin with a floor jack and put it in neutral. Grab the yoke and shake it hard left and right or up and down trying to feel any play.

Sometimes a U-joint will start to go and the drive shaft wobbles and causes the seal to fail. Sometimes the pinion bearings will wear. Sometimes the collapsible (crush) sleeve will act up. Sometime it is just grit and sand or mud which can cause the seal to fail. There is usually a cause, those seals rarely fail without a reason.

While your in there drain the oil into a clean pan, filter it through a rag and see what you have for metal particles. There is a spot near the bottom pinion bearing in the case that can trap particles, you can stick your finger in there. I usually warm up the oil and filter it through a coffee filter.

Pry up on the ring gear and see how much play you have in the carrier bearings. Especially if you have a lot of metal in the oil. The metal shavings from the carrier bearings can work there way into the pinion bearings causing a them to wear excessively, kind of cascade effect.

I've overloaded and/or over torqued (lots of motor against an immovable obstacle) the drive train before and had the crush sleeve in the Diff collapse slightly allowing the pinon bearings to slope around and ruin the seal.

If your bearings seem good, slap a new seal in there and see what happens. If it lasts your good, if it fails again anytime soon you have issues. I also cover the outside metal ring of the seal with a little silicon, just in case there is a flaw in the case or seal and/or it actually helps the seal go back in easier. Coat the rubber part of the seal with grease or Moly assembly lube before installing the yoke. I use motorcycle Moly chain lube (one spray can lasts a lifetime).

The only special tools I've ever needed is a giant torque wrench 3/4" drive. Most half inch drive torque wrenches won't go up high enough on the torque reading. And a carrier bearing adjuster tool if you need new carrier bearings. Both you can likely loan or rent someplace.

And enough butt to torque that pinion nut down. I weigh around 200 and have had my rear end completely off the ground trying for enough torque on that nut.

Last edited:
To add to first post:
Severe-(in my opinion)grease is slung all around the under-side from spring to spring.
Axle has never been run dry,no noise at all,still plenty of fluid in axle.
We will be replacing the u-joints-because-200,000+ on them.
Having it done in a shop-that has necessary tools.
Will not be 80* here until July,calling for snow ,Monday.Wife will"need" her XJ then.

Thanks,
Wayne

Grease is much different than oil. Are you sure the seal is your issue? That sounds more like the u-joint or driveshaft seal that failed. I always have grease on the underside of my jeep after I service my driveshafts just due to it slinging the excess off after grease gun everything.

The 80* thing was more of a joke. It was 86 at my parent's house in VA on Christmas and having grown up there, I have plenty of memories of building a snowman one day and wearing shorts the next.

Grease is much different than oil. Are you sure the seal is your issue? That sounds more like the u-joint or driveshaft seal that failed. I always have grease on the underside of my jeep after I service my driveshafts just due to it slinging the excess off after grease gun everything.

The 80* thing was more of a joke. It was 86 at my parent's house in VA on Christmas and having grown up there, I have plenty of memories of building a snowman one day and wearing shorts the next.

"grease"-Oh its 85/140 gear oil. OE U-Joints no fittings in them.
Calling for snow tomorrow,

Back