• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

You are subscribed to this thread New Mopar Harmonic Balancer & Oil Slinger

comanche91

NAXJA Forum User
New Mopar Harmonic Balancer & Oil Slinger Question

I need to replace my harmonic balancer on my 91 MJ and have a new Mopar HB I will be using. This is the one that comes with the instruction sheet that states "remove the oil slinger and discard". I'm assuming this means the new balancer is slightly thicker than the originals. I'd rather not remove the timing cover to do this. So, my question is, has anyone installed the new Mopar 33002920AC HB w/o removing the oil slinger? Any problems? Thanks guys.

Last edited:
im pretty sure you have to take the slinger off. You can install it with out pulling the timing cover. The old seal may or may not leak

I tend to save past write-ups on the computer.
Here's a note from 2007 when I changed mine;
"Get my new factory Harmonic Balancer's "nose" shortened 20/1000th's so it will fit the '89 without having to pull the timing cover and remove the "oil slinger" that isn't used on newer engines and gently smooth the front of the keyway."
Also, it's much easier with a harmonic balancer installer
OR, from another member;
"Installing the new balancer:
1. Some may disagree with this, but I greased the inside of the balancer and did not replace the keyway in the shaft. Do as you see fit.
2. Get the 2" long bolt and large washer from your old balancer.
3. Line up the new balancer on the shaft making sure to pay attention to the orientation of the keyway on the shaft and the keyway slot on the balancer.
4. Start your bolt into the shaft and pull the new balancer on. This sounds easy, but took me about 20 minutes to get right.
5. After you pull the balancer on the shaft about 1/4 in. you can back the bolt back out. If you have some grease handy, put a little on the four washers (If not, that's OK). Put the washers on the bolt along with the large washer from the old balancer. This new stack should give you plenty of run to get the balancer most of the way on. Once you start getting close to the engine back the bolt out, remove all washers except for the original and pull the balancer on the rest of the way (about 1/8 in. from the engine)."

Hope this helps,
Mike

Thanks very much for that PhotographerMike. If 20/1000th's of material is all that needs to come of, it shouldn't affect the chamfered edge on the snout hole either too much. Appreciate the info.

s-l225.jpg

Last edited:
Back