• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad NSS Question.

Kingkong0192

NAXJA Forum User
2001 Jeep XJ. 4.0/Automatic.

I have battery voltage going to the starter, and the other smaller wire on the starter that energizes the starter (trigger wire?) is dead. When the key is in the cranking position the trigger wire gets about 10.5 volts but the starter doesn't turn over.

Obviously i think it's a bad starter, but was wondering (i have a check engine light for the neutral safety switch) if the NSS was acting up if that remote wire would get power and it would cut power somewhere else or what?

Thanks!

I don't know the precise answer to your question, but if you have voltage at the starter on the trigger wire, I sure would suspect a starter issue. When the NSS is engaged, the starter does not turn. I would assume (but have no proof) because the PCM cuts power to the trigger wire.

The NSS can be easily bypassed for testing purposes. You could also run an appropriate sized jumper wire from the battery to the starter trigger terminal.

Back