• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj motor swap

Shook250

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I'm new on here and I was wondering I have a 1996 xj with a 4.0 that I rolled the other day and I'm buying a 2000 xj with a blown 4.0 will my 96 motor swap over to the 2000 or will I have to mod it it make it work or will it just be plug in and go?

I have a 2000. I read somewhere that it can be done. I think the main difference is the 2000 does not have a distributor, it has coil rail. Do some searches, you would have to mount the coil rail on the 1996 block somehow (the mounting points won't be on the 96 block). Use the intake manifold from the 2000 though. It flows much better.

Yeah, the mounting holes for the coil rail are on the head. Would be easy enough to make some brackets.

Is there anything sensors that would have to go into the 96 engine or will the coil rail be the only thing ? And what do I do with distributor?

done this type swap twice recently, basically you use the 96 longblock and like ehall said bolt ALL the sensors, ignition, intake etc from the 2000 on, super simple swap and just make a couple brackets to hold the coil rail down

now here is the biggest possible problem, the 2000 exhaust manifolds may not cover the ports on the 96 head, someone used to make a plate to make this combo work but I haven't seen one in a while, solution if you have federal emission is to use the 96 exhaust and buy a new front pipe, the 02 will bolt right in and work fine but if you have Cali emissions (4 02 sensors) you could have bungs installed in the 96 exhaust manifold so you can use all 4 02s, guessing you have just 2 being in PA

The distributor won't get used. The 2000 only has the oil pump where the distributor is. Essentially it is the bottom half of a distributor (slides down in the hole and has a gear on the end) with a sensor on top where the cap would be. Not that much different mechanically at least. You would remove this from the 2000 and install in the 96 block. Like. Ehall and 440 Dakota said, simple swap, just move all sensors from the 2000 block to the 96 block and done.

I just completed this swap as well. 96 4.0L long block into an 01. I used the 01 exhaust and intake manifold without issue. The exhaust ports are slightly restricted but I didn't notice any issues yet. I didn't build any brackets for the coil pack, just pressed it on. Seems to work so far, not sure how it will work off road.

Back