• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C won't work after dealer attempted Remote key programming

sonofasailor3

NAXJA Forum User
OK. I bought supposedly tested remote key fob for my 2000 XJ. Took it to dealer for programming since supposedly a DRB II was needed for programming. After a while, tech comes back and tells me once a remote is programmed, you can't reprogram. Wants to sell new fob for $102. I tell him that all over the Internet people are getting them reprogrammed. He then took it back saying that another tech with more experience will look at it. Well after 45 minutes or so, they come back saying remote wasn't sending signal (although bought from site that supposedly tests all if them). Anyway, left dealer and then A/C won't cool anymore. Don't even hear compressor kicking on. Took it right back and they say there is nothing they could have done to stop air from working. Any ideas what they could have done???

The remote keyless is 100% separate from the Heating and A/C systems. Must be a coincidence.

Thats not entirely true. The ac control signal to the ac relay that controls the compressor comes from the PCM Connector 3 Pin 1 so the PCM actually is what powers the compressor to come on. If they did any reprogramming of your PCM incorrectly, then that could do it. If they reprogrammed the PCM for no A/C for example then it wouldn't control the relay. That is probably a stretch, but possible.

"Any ideas what they could have done???"

They probably disconnected your a/c for laughs, since you refused to go along with the ruse. Find an a/c guy and have him fix what they broke, and avoid the sociopaths at the dealership from now on.

I've seen mechanics do far worse things than this. Consider yourself lucky.

Thanks for the replies. I still think it's a remarkable coincidence (although not impossible) that I drive in with a working a/c and drove out with an inoperative one. I really don't suspect sabotage, but lean toward a simple error.

UPDATE... as I suspected, the A/C relay was not working. Quick replacement and everything is cool again. I still think it's a remarkable coincidence that it chose to go out while the dealer was working on the Cherokee, but that it "wasn't anything they did"!

Back