• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix problems 1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gunter

NAXJA Forum User
some background--ran fine and shifted fine--all 4 gears
now-- the trans has major shifting issues.starts in 3rd or 4th and stays there
engine--misfires coming out the intake and low power.
idles rough
runs on hi way when you press down to get it to downshift it runs like a madman. but upshift and holding steady speed at 55 is impossible.
got a new TPS but cant get the thing to adjust the voltage . when dividing the input voltage by the output voltage best percentage i can get is 92.
found online the magic number is 83% cant even get there. have i made a mistake in thinking the TPS is the problem?

4.0 Renix with AW4 behind it.
the TPS is all i have messed with.

thanks for the help!

I believe it is your TPS. Did you buy a Mopar TPS? The aftermarket sensors may not work very well right out of the box, my honest opinion. Ask me how I know. Lol!
My trans wouldn't shift at all once my TPS failed.

i also want to add to my OP. i swapped in a junkyard part i have kept as a spare, and when the engine is cold, everything runs tip top and shifts fine. and even then, it still did better than the original part did. the shifts are good and firm and dont take a long time to shift, and the engine power is strong and smooth.

The renix jeeps are notorious for bad sensor ground issues that cause all sorts of problems like yours. The Renix TPS has two different grounds!!! Read the RenX files treads here and Cruiser54s step by step fixes for your grounds next. Get an ohm meter and use it!!!!

i have not done the ground re fresh. this Jeep all works and i do check them and make sure they clean etc. i returned my TPS and got my money back. my junkyard one works better than the new one did.

i have not done the ground re fresh. this Jeep all works and i do check them and make sure they clean etc. i returned my TPS and got my money back. my junkyard one works better than the new one did.
Use an ohm meter and test the TPS connection grounds on both sides of the TPS (one is for the ECU the other for the AW4 computer) to the battery negative post with the engine off.

ok cleaned the 101 connector as best i could and removed the old splices. got my engine back to running bad and lost the high idle. hiway speed is impossible. it drives either near dead or in 2nd gear floored. how can i fix it? it was running fine and then this all went to hell.

ok cleaned the 101 connector as best i could and removed the old splices. got my engine back to running bad and lost the high idle. hiway speed is impossible. it drives either near dead or in 2nd gear floored. how can i fix it? it was running fine and then this all went to hell.

Ummm, what old splices?

Back