• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 non a/c

josh9mile

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 93 5speed without a/c, so it didn't come with the e-fan. After looking I could see the plug that would be used if it was equipped with a fan, it was tucked out of the way and secured with a zip tie from the factory. So I went to the local pick-n-pull and got a fan, installed it and plugged it in. Well it doesn't work, I let it run on a 90 degree day and it just won't come on. Is there something I'm missing?

All depends on how the ECM is programmed. Since it wasn't on your rig to begin with I would assume the programming isn't there. If it was programmed to do it and didn't see a fan it would throw a code.

All depends on how the ECM is programmed. Since it wasn't on your rig to begin with I would assume the programming isn't there. If it was programmed to do it and didn't see a fan it would throw a code.

'93 was prior to ODBCII so even if it did throw a code, good luck figuring out what it is.

I seem to recall (could be wrong here) that the electric fan was triggered by the AC system. Since you don't have AC, it could explain why you aren't getting the signal (i.e the fan would start once the compressor turned on and if I recall correctly, the ECM didn't care but the power to the fan relay was routed to come off of the compressor).

The easiest thing to do is probably going to be to install a 3rd party triggering device and wire it into your fan. Something like this should work: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-33021/overview/

Last edited:
Key on/off on/off on/off on/off on/off ... Read flashes and compare to OBD I codes list. That's how you figure that one out.

And yeah, the ecm triggers the fan, if the vehicle didn't come with A/C you are going to be missing some of the parts to make that happen. Did you add in the fan relay into the PDC? Without A/C the fan will not come on until about 220F or so.

Just add in a GM style temp switch (for an auto on system) or wire it through a relay/switch for manual control.

Maybe try swapping in a PCM from a 93/94 that had AC?
For meow, you should be able to wire up an override switch.

The relay only has 4 used terminals. 1 for 12v battery, 1 for 12v ignition, 1 for output to the fan (all of these will be good already). You only need to figure out the control wire. This in most cases goes to the PCM. In your case, run it to a switch (if you want to control it), or just to ground (will always run with ignition on) I recommend the switch. Not sure about your jeep, but in my 00 the control wire is Connector 3 on the PCM Pin 2 and is an 18 guage dark blue wire with a pink stripe. IT IS PROBABLY NOT THE SAME ON YOURS. So check wiring diagrams before you go and change anything. But it should be this easy. But in mine the PCM detects when I turn the A/C on and grounds the circuit to allow the fan to come on.

Back