• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thermostat question

5150caz

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 195deg. thermostat in my xj and its only about 3 years old. When its cool out, my gauge gets up to 195 and drops to about 150 then gets back up to 195 and then drops to 150 etc. My question is, is this normal? I thought it should stay close to 195 all the time. Could it be a bad thermostat. I'm used to my wifes car and my car staying right in the middle but the jeep jumps back and fourth.

Last edited:
Sounds like the thermostat is starting to stick. I'd replace it with a new therm at your earliest convenience, rather than wait for it to fail, possible stuck closed.

I'd also recommend something like a Stant Fail Safe. They have a wax plug that melts if the system gets too hot because of a stuck thermostat, or other overheating condition, forcing it completely open.

David Bricker / SYR

Stant Premium or CQ blue box premium (same as stant premium) last I knew.

I tend to avoid the Duralast and Valucraft lines that Autozone sells. I recently bought a NAPA Premium thermostat (about $8). The box said it was a Superstat made in the USA.

Get a basic Stant, or genuine Jeep T-stat. Don't get a fail safe type.

Cheap crappy parts with a 'Lifetime Warranty" are usually poor quality and have a short service life. Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

Mopar brand T-stat from the dealer. They aren't much more than parts house ones and when you take into consideration time to swap and getting more RTV or a new gasket they end up being a wash or cheaper.

Get a basic Stant, or genuine Jeep T-stat. Don't get a fail safe type.

Cheap crappy parts with a 'Lifetime Warranty" are usually poor quality and have a short service life. Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

Mopar brand T-stat from the dealer. They aren't much more than parts house ones and when you take into consideration time to swap and getting more RTV or a new gasket they end up being a wash or cheaper.

Both these guys are 100% correct. I had the same problem as you back in 2001 while in CT/NY area in the winter. A dealership bought genuine Mopar solved the problem and is still going strong today.

Back