• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shorted ballast, bypass, still no start

scot4free

NAXJA Forum User
I was doing some simple things. My shop light touched an exposed wire to what I think is the fuel pump ballast. near master cylinder, two wires, ceramic.
Engine imeddiatly shut off and cranks, but no restart.
From bleepnjeeps youtube, I bypassed by connecting wires. Still same.

What is most likely??

Maybe Check the relay. If you've done the bypass it's probably not the ballast unless the wires broke.

Do you hear the pump pressurize before turning the key to start?

I/m going to say no...but I never noticed it on my xj before...guess I have a quiet one...BUT when I press the schrader valve on the fuel rail, not much comes out, just a dribble for 1-2 seconds. I would expect a squirt at least, but I have never needed to relieve pressure before.
I also appear to have no spark. I am waiting for a friend to crank it while I ground a spark plug.

What year is it?
Do you have a CPS?

My guess is it's not the fuel pump.
In our 92 back when it had a weak fuel pump we'd prime it by Turing the key to just before cranking it over , the pump would turn on up to three times to pressurize the system pre start. That's usually the easiest time to hear even a faint fuel pump noise.

If it's s no spark it's stuff like bad coil, CPS, ecu, even the ignition switch on the steering column

FIXED...ok...lame...but Eng Mangment Fuse 30A. I inspected them...but, finally actually pulled them....that was it....sorry for wasting time on a fuse...uhg...

Back