• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Radio vibration ?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
Just looking for some tips... I've got an Alpine CD Player in my '01 XJ and while mounting it and install was a breeze using the harness and mounting kits, I've got a lot of vibration that comes f/the Radio area.

Where the Trip/Bezel covers the Radio Mount there is quite a bit of vibration due to the Brown Dog rubber mounts. There are only 2 front screws holding the entire weight of the Radio as I don't recall having the ability to mount he rear of the deck. Any suggestions or how-tos to secure the radio better would be appreciated.

The constant buzzing/rattling coming from that area are SO annoying. I can stop that rattling if I hold my hand on the radio faceplate, but who wants to drive everywhere like that. :)

You gotta turn down the bass!

Really, though, all the aftermarket stereos I've installed had specific brackets for that car that you would install first and bend some tabs to keep tight against the dash. Then you slide the head unit in and it fits snug in the bracket and clicks in place. Sounds like maybe you have a universal mount that won't be perfect. You could put some 5 mil rubber or similar around the unit or bracket depending on where it's rattling and shove it in. That will wear out over time but may help.

It is the bracket specifically designed for the '97-01 XJs and fits like a glove... the problem is there are only 2 bolts holding the bracket in place on the front/sides of the bracket. No rear or mid-upper support for the radio. If that makes sense... it causes the CD player to also skip when going over bumps and rough roads.

Honestly it wasn't really an issue until I installed the Brown Dog MM a year or so back... and I'm just now finally getting to fixing it. I've been slowly eliminating things one at a time... now this job is on my hit-list.

If anyone has the OE Radio Bracket it'd be nice to see... to see if it has some sort of upper or rear support. My '01 had a busted aftermarket radio when I got it years ago so I just swapped something better in.

Actually if I turn up the cubby hole sub louder I don't notice the rattling... but I'm also a leery jeep driver and like to be able to hear my rig just in case something busts while I'm driving... :)

Same problem with me as far as the buzzing. I just put tape around the inside of the center bezel over the radio mount now no vibes. Need to make a better bracket for it but for now it works

I have used tape elsewhere to silence the vibs... so looks like that is certainly an option. I was also thinking about coating that backside of the center bezel w/some sort of sound dampening material... tape is cheaper and easier. :)

I used double sided tape. Stack about 7 or 8 high by about an inch long. There is a little ledge under the right side of the stereo a few inches back from the face that you can prop the deck up on. Worked for me. When I pulled the facia of the dash there was a white powder along the pace plate. It was from the plastic rubbing so much. I also have the brown dogs.

I had the same problem and used a flat piece of .125" aluminum sheet that encompasses the two mounting holes and goes all the way around head unit. I used liquid nails to bond the aluminum to the plastic adapter. Rock solid now. No vibration and doesn't move. Been that way for about six months and still holding strong.

I had the same problem and used a flat piece of .125" aluminum sheet that encompasses the two mounting holes and goes all the way around head unit. I used liquid nails to bond the aluminum to the plastic adapter. Rock solid now. No vibration and doesn't move. Been that way for about six months and still holding strong.

Sounds like an interesting idea... don't happen to have any pics of the bracket you made would ya?

I had a problem with a vibration/rubbing noise between the aftermarket bracket and the snap on bezel in my 2000 xj after installing a new deck. I bought black felt with adhesive back at a hobby store. I cut strips and stuck it to the aftermarket bracket where the dash bezel contacts it. you just barely see the felt but looks fine because it is black. helped with the vibration and "squeak" but probably wouldn't keep the cds from skipping. I think the aluminum reinforcement is probably a better solution. or find a sturdier aftermarket bracket (mine was from crutchfield and is weak).

I have a single din Alpine head unit in my 01 XJ. I had vibration problems at the back of the head unit was wanting to hang down because there's no bracket in the back. The low-budget fix I used was a piece of pine board 3/4 × 1 and 6+-" long and put it side to side to support the rear of the stereo. I wrapped it with some 1/8 inch foam I got at the craft store and it does surprisingly well. There is a lip on either side inside of the dash that supports the piece of wood. I make sure that my support did not cover any of the vent holes on the bottom of the unit. It is not a cure-all but it is much, much better than it was.

Last edited:
Update: This weekend I pulled the radio out so I could see what I had to work with... and going on some of the advice here...

I have a lot of spare wood and parts in my garage (like most people do right...) and so I measured the 'ledge' from side to side under my stereo. It was ~ 8" across... and the height/thickness needed to brace my stereo was ~ 3/4 - 1". So I found some leftover baseboard I had f/a remodel in the house and cut it 8" across and it slid under my stereo and gave almost a perfect brace. I also added another piece of electrical tape across the flat plastic mounting crutchfield bracket on the top side of the faceplate (that touches the OE Radio Trim panel). On the drive into work this morning the stereo was much more 'solid' and so far zero buzzing/rattling!! In the past I could put my hand/fingers on that crutchfield trim piece between the stereo faceplate and the OE trim bezel and feel it buzzing and it was also 'squishy' feeling... Not anymore. Now it feels solid. Hopefully this will hold up and I won't have to worry about it anymore. :)

Thanks for the input all!

Back