• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 2-Piece Knuckles?

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up an HP D30, seller said it came out of a '94 XJ at the salvage yard.

It's definitely a high pinion, and the shafts have ABS rings and 760 size u-joints.

One thing I noticed was that the steering knuckles are two-piece units and have clips where the pads meet the knuckle (caliper bracket bolts to the knuckle).
I've only seen that one time before - on an '89 CAD Comanche D30 and figured it was just an older design.
Is the two-piece design with the clips used for all ABS D30s? I haven't seen many ABS rigs so I wouldn't know...
I was under the impression that everything '91+ was pretty much the same except for u-joints and hubs/rotors later on.

wtqbhIz.jpg

iYlJZLe.jpg

One of two things, someone swapped in a Renix-era axle into an HO, or someone swapped Renix-era knuckles at some point.

Definitely an earlier knuckle.

At least the ABS shafts have the heavier ears/U-Joints. Does the stub shaft have a grease seal that mates to the back of the Unit Bearing?

Hmm. That's what I was wondering. Seems odd, it's definitely HP and definitely not a CAD so '94 XJ makes sense.
I did notice that the paint marker from the junkyard is somewhat suspiciously "erased" but at the end of the day, a non-CAD HP D30 is what it is :dunno:
I'm planing a WJ swap anyway so it shouldn't be an issue.

I have a 95 HP30 ABS axle non-CAD and it does not have the two piece knuckle. I just scrapped an 88 HP30 axle and it was a two piece knuckle. So I believe model year is the deciding factor.

One of two things, someone swapped in a Renix-era axle into an HO, or someone swapped Renix-era knuckles at some point.

I had them on my 94 since i swapped a cad 30 in with 4.10 gears, then moved all that over to a non cad housing when I bent it

early 2 piece knuckle non-disconnect housing.

they did come like that.

I have one in my garage I pulled from a JY vehicle.

the knuckles are junk. there is really no support for them at all. easily swapped for later XJ knuckles though.

My XJ runs an 89 XJ HPD30, non CAD ... All Limiteds were non-CAD as they used the NP242.

Back