• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Violently pulling to the left when breaking

Khary23

NAXJA Forum User
I have recently noticed that when I break hard or breke at highway speeds the Jeep violently pulls to the left. Thinking it might have been the calipers I replaced them on Sunday with no change. I put new tires on it on Tuesday as well as an alignment so I think I can rule those out as well. I replaced the brake lines in 2009 with stainless steel ones from Crown so I doubt that would be it , but wont rule it out. Anyone have any ideas on what I should check next?

Does the steering wheel pull real hard when you brake? The problem can just as easily be a rear brake. Pull the drums and take a look.

I would start out with a good brake bleed up front. If one side has a bubble, it won't brake as hard as the other side.

Are you sure when you did the brakes, that the caliper pins slid in and out easily and that you lubricated them.

Check to see if the brake pad brackets are grooved.

A rule of thumb with brake pulls.The brakes will pull away from the bad caliper.

I.E. Pulls left...right side isn't working correctly.

With the front wheels up, have some one apply the brake an see which is not working. Then have them release the pedal and see if either side is dragging or holding. Then when you find the side open the bleeder and see if it releases, if it doesn't open the fitting at the top of the hose. If it releases with the hose then it that's what it is. If it's at the bleeder then it's probably the caliper.

I'm with everyone else, I say brakes. I had my left one get sticky on me and I had just put them on some 3k back. Nearly pulled me into the other lane every time I hit the brakes at even moderate speeds.

I'm with everyone else, I say brakes. I had my left one get sticky on me and I had just put them on some 3k back. Nearly pulled me into the other lane every time I hit the brakes at even moderate speeds.

I wouldn't say everyone. If a brake was sticking, after a short time driving, they would overheat, start smelling and become almost useless so the violent pull would subside after a warmup. Still pull gradually, though. I'd still check them but loose ball joints also cause this as well as tie rod ends and those can be checked and ruled out very quickly without even having to take anything apart. Not the only thing to cause this issue, but it shouldn't be ignored either.

I wouldn't say everyone. If a brake was sticking, after a short time driving, they would overheat, start smelling and become almost useless so the violent pull would subside after a warmup. Still pull gradually, though. I'd still check them but loose ball joints also cause this as well as tie rod ends and those can be checked and ruled out very quickly without even having to take anything apart. Not the only thing to cause this issue, but it shouldn't be ignored either.

Valid point. This would be the next step if the brakes all check ok.

Check for rear brake shoes installed correctly. Too much material on the leading shoe would give much more braking action. (leading = the shoe that tends to lock itself into the drum when the drum is turning in the normal direction)

You mean that you think the pads are bad?

Sorry that wasn't clear and I jumped the gun on posting. I mean the pads or caliper. While it could be a shoe I have only known hard pulls like described when it's the front.
Then again doing a full check on the front stearing isn't a bad thing anyway.

Not necessarily.

A pinched hose or brake line, seized caliper or wheel cylinder, a brake pad that is hung up on a worn groove in the knuckle will prevent a brake from applying at all, and no heat or smell will occur.

I was able to get under it last night and check the steering and suspension and everything seemed tight and in place. We then took off the tires and inspected the brakes and they were closing equally and both releasing when the pedal was let off. There maybe something I missed as it was dark out and the light we were using was not the greatest.

I wanted to add that there has also been a speed dependent thumping coming from the front that you can kinda also feel. I am wondering if this could be related.

Back