• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough starting whether engine warm or cold 99

iluv83vettes

NAXJA Forum User
Little backstory ... I have a 99 with the 4.0, 193k miles and AW4 (don't think that matters in this instance). I have previously had some crank position sensor issue and cam position sensor issues, so I carry spares of both and the 10mm with extensions/screwdriver to swap them out. I have a yellow top Optima battery connected to the full set of Jon's (5-90) cables that is 3 years old and has never let me down. All connections are corrosion free. Starter has never been replaced. Other sensors, besides cps's and O2 up and downstream, have not been replaced. Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor are ~20k miles old. Injectors were "cleaned" right before I bought it with 142k miles and I have run a tank of injector cleaner every oil change since. Fuel pump was replaced almost 2 years ago when I installed the Genright gas tank. I hadn't started my full log book at that point, but a month later I had 164k miles. Not sure what else might be relevant.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago, I started my 1,600 mile road trip to Pennsylvania from Houston to do some training for a couple months. About halfway across Louisiana on I-10, I felt the first miss. I have had this happen before, where after driving for 4-5 hours, the Cam position sensor will start to miss like it has gotten too hot or something. It was in the middle of the night so I just kept going. Made it to my buddy's place outside Jackson, MS with a few more single misses. Replaced the Cam position sensor with my spare and kept going. I don't carry a code reader, but I had a good feeling it would be the P1391.

A couple days later I left my buddy's place and headed north. At the first fuel stop, a couple hours later, I stopped at the Oreilly's and picked up another Cam position sensor and swapped it for my "good" spare. I didn't clear the code at that time, but it didn't stutter or miss the rest of the trip. When I got up to Pennsylvania, and stopped for fuel, I didn't start on the first try. I had started fine that morning in Bristol, TN when it was ~25 degrees and now it was ~35. I turned the key off and tried it again. Jeep started just fine like it has a million times before. Pulled off the interstate a couple exits later and stopped at an Advanced Auto. Pulled the codes and sure enough the P1391 was there, but no other codes were there. Tested the battery and showed 680CA. Cleared the code and went on my way (started fine that time).

I have been up here for a little over a week now and sometimes it starts up just fine. Other times it turns over maybe twice, stops for a bit, like the battery is dying and turns over some more a little quicker. It will start, but seems like it is running on 3-4 cylinders. Turn the key off and try again and it starts just fine with a quick turnover and a normal start. The CEL has come back on, but I haven't had a chance to check it. It set for 4 days with the warmest temperature being ~30 degrees and started on the second key turn as described above.

Right now I am thinking possibly the starter is going out or the Cam position sensor I put in is bad. I think 680CA should be plenty, especially when I try again and it starts right up with no hesitation. Any ideas?

If what you are describing by "not starting" is actually not turning over...as the starter is not turning the engine. Then, I'd be inclined to say it's the starter going bad. I don't think the cam position sensor will have any effect on the starters ability to turn the engine.

If what you are describing by "not starting" is actually not turning over...as the starter is not turning the engine. Then, I'd be inclined to say it's the starter going bad. I don't think the cam position sensor will have any effect on the starters ability to turn the engine.

That's what I was thinking. It's so random I bet one of the internal contacts is covered in oil and sludge.

Is there a way to legit test it without removing it? I would have to do it in a parking lot and I hate the cold.

Back