• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield defroster actuator location

outracing

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, so I was doing some research because I thought I had the infamous blend door problem. After doing some minor research on this site, I now believe that the actuator arm for my windshield defroster is broken. I see this is also a common issue.

All of my heat and a/c controls work, however, when I adjust the settings to defrost the windshield I can hear the air blowing but nothing comes out of the defroster for the windshield. Plenty of air comes out of the small defrosters for the driver and passenger windows though.

I see that this problem can be corrected by removing the radio and repairing the arm. I was curious if anybody had any images or some more detailed information I could look at before I attempted to make this repair as I am not 100% sure of its location.

Thanks everyone!

You can see if the defrost door bell crank arm is broken off the door. See pic below.

You'll have to remove more than just the radio to get at the defrost door bell crank, like the top cover of the dash to get a look at it.

Refer to your copy of the factory service manual, Sections 8E and 24 for procedures.

Defrost%20Door%20Troubleshooting.jpg

img496-1.jpg

defrostdooractutorbroken97xj.jpg

Last edited:
Oh boy. That looks like a lot of work. I'll take a loot at everything this weekend. Thanks for the info sidewinder.

So ive been having this issue since i got my jeep about 4years ago. I have been doing a bit of research on it. So i popped out the radio and my arm is actually missing. Nowhere to be found. Any suddestions where to find one besides just going to the picknpull and hoping i find one without it broke. If i do find one, is it easily removable without pulling the core assembly?

Thanks guys

mine fell out from under the dash onto my right leg months ago ,didnt realize what it was,tossed it.lol ive ordered a new one available online through amazon company is omix-ada.

Back