• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 no start

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
98, ax15, 4L
Little backstory... Heep had been taking longer than normal before xmass to start, then started getting no start issues. Tracked it down to a bad starter. Installed a Duralast from vatozone, all good until yesterday. Went to start the rig and no go. Managed to use a screwdriver to jump the starter and get me home. Pulled the starter today and had it tested, Failed. Took home another Duralast that was tested and passed. Installed it and still have no start issue.

Have checked;
Optima Red Top shows 12.5V
Power from battery to starter is good
fuses 19 and 10 are good
starter relay is clicking
all main cables where built by 5-90, grounds are good
blower motor shuts off when cranking (leads me to thing ignition is good?)
installed the factory clutch switch bypass

I assume there is a fault between the power block and the starter, looking for ideas on where to start tomorrow as I am out of daylight and working in the rain is no fun. All help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
So I dropped by the parts store today and installed a push button wired direct to the battery and the solenoid. I still have to turn the key to the on position to get the Fuel pump and everything running (giving some level of safety). At this point I plan on running it like this until I have time to figure out what is going on.

If anyone has any thoughts as to where the fubar is, please chime in.

I thought about it being the ignition switch, but I am leaning toward something between the relay and the solenoid. All works when I turn the key, and the relay is clicking(also put a new relay in to verify it was working).

I've replaced both the starter and fuel pump relays on my 98. I believe four of the relays in the power distribution center under the hood are the same. Try trading it with a similar one.

Back