• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 exhaust testing with temporary relocation of O2 sensors

x-jay vision

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I know I'm about to get shit on, but here it goes. THIS IS FOR TESTING PURPOSES ONLY.

I'm looking to replace the factory exhaust manifold and precats with an APN header. There would be 1 O2 bung in each 3 cylinder bank, then I would extend the wiring of the downstream O2 sensors and place both after the main cat before the muffler.

Question: can anyone see why this would not work without CEL?

Would it be easier to use a 1998 ecm and eliminate 1 upstream and 1 downstream O2 sensor?

You'll get no grief from me. Are you trying to get room for a HP axle up there? Been there, done that except that I was not able to relocate my o2 sensors as it would likely not have the visual portion of a California smog test. I ended up having to have the tubes rerouted from just below the cats on the manifold. Life would be so much simpler with a '99 as opposed to the '01.

Without getting into, or actually knowing what effects moving the sensors further downstream would have an engine management, I would expect it would be best to place them in front of the cat that is on the exhaust pipe.

Back