• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this outside ring?

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
Opened my 8.8 to install a locker and noticed this ring. Never really been inside this axle, and that ring isn't present in the axle on the Spartan Install video.

50DD12E0-D360-45EB-B1BC-369A25E88D92_zpsmwz6vpn4.jpg

It's the anti-lock brake reluctor, for the rear wheels.

Looks like that ring gear has seen better days. I'd reset the gears and do a whole new master install kit while you're in there if the Spartan didn't already come with the bearings and shims.

Looks like that ring gear has seen better days. I'd reset the gears and do a whole new master install kit while you're in there if the Spartan didn't already come with the bearings and shims.

What makes you think that?

Resetting gears and such, I believe, is a little over my pay grade...

Last edited:
What makes you think that?

Resetting gears and such, I believe, is a little over my pay grade...

I see a lot of rounding on the outside of the teeth right in the center. My 25 yo 8.35 and D30 rings were still straight when I pulled them so that just catches my eye when I see rounding. May be normal wear but if it's been around for a while and you have the carrier out, it's a good idea to refresh the bearings. But if it's a lunchbox, you can get away with installing it without removing the carrier.

Notice any slipping, howling or vibration from the rear end? I think the pinion bearings are worn pulling the pinion away from the ring so they are rounding out the outer teeth.

Tone ring for rear speed sensor. Ford uses it for the Speedo. If you have the ring gear off, you can remove it with a hammer, wont effect anything. From the pic I see nothing wrong with that diff BTW.

Yeah, it's all factory. I only drive the thing about 3000 miles a year, so I'm not terribly worried about it.

My Honda passport D44 I swapped in the rear of my jeep also had a similar ring on the carrier and an ABS sensor hole cast into the center section to mount the sensor in. I wouldn't worry about it. I left mine on and just keep the sensor unplugged.

That is the tone ring for ABS. I just left the factory ABS sensor installed, wires unplugged. No worries. Some people make a plate to cover the sensor hole. Just leave it as is if you still have the sensor.

That is the tone ring for the speedometer sensor, which is positioned above it on the top of the housing. The tone rings for ABS are on each individual axle shaft so the wheels can be controlled individually. We own a custom axle fabrication shop and deal with them all the time. As mentioned, you can leave it there with the sensor disconnected without any problems. If you're changing your gears, dint forget to re-install the ring. If you're staying with the factory setup and haven't removed the carrier from the housing, then button it back up with new gear oil and limited slip additive if you have the ls. If you took the carrier out of the housing, you'll need to check your backlash and make sure you have the carrier bearing caps on the correct sides and orientation and torque them to spec with red Locktite on the bolts.

I left the carrier in, just slid out the side and spider gears to install a Spartan locker. Quick and easy once the axle shafts were out.

Back