• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What should I do while its out?

SonicXtasy

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, currently have a 99 2 door 5 speed 2wd with 210K on it. I just salvaged the complete drivetrain (even entire harness from headlights to taillights) from a rusty 96 5 speed 4wd with 291K. Both have 4.0l engines. The 96 ran and drove but had a knock in the engine. I plan on making my 99 4wd with the 96's tranny, transfer case and front axle. If it matters, while doing the conversion I plan on doing a budget lift consisting of V6 Thunderbird coils, some combo of add a leaf, block or shackle and JK Rubicon shocks. I don't want to spend big money but want to know what I should tend to while the tranny is out such as the rear main seal, etc. Are there seals, bearings that are easily accessible that I should replace while things are out? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Read this thread first -> Everything you ever wanted to know about the AW-4

Install fresh, rear main seal, oil filter adapter O-rings, and frost plugs.

Ummm...

I will admit I have not read through that thread, but it certainly does appear to be all about the AW-4, and if my reading comprehension is worth a tinker's curse I think he is planning to run an AX-15. Is there something in particular he should be looking for in that thread? Maybe some of the details about wiring changes over the years? Or is that a slip-up and you had something else in mind.

That is a pretty long thread to go searching through just for kicks.

My reading glasses must be getting weak, I missed the part about the 5 speed donor.

Last edited:
Back