• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overall lift

PSoffe

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is OEM Tech board and my question is about lift heights but the basis of this is to determine factory ride height in order to jar my ever failing memory.

I know this is long but a back story is definitely in order.

Back in April of 2015 we purchased a Zone 3" kit for for our 2001 XJ Sport. While I should have opted for the full leaf lift in the rear my budget and impending trip to Tierra Del Sol (and lack of common sense) said purchase the kit with the Add-a-leaf.

Having worked for a suspension company prior to this many years before i had recorded the actual ride height numbers before and after to see first hand what was achieved or not achieved.

Again as we only had two days prior to leaving for TDS we were pressed for time thus giving up all common sense.

We didn't yield what we should have in the front and certainly more than we anticipated in the rear. If memory serves we only saw 2-1/2" in the front and just over 4" in the rear. Again pressed for time and not able to do anything with the rear, we decided to add a 1-3/4 spacer to the front getting us where we needed to be and out the door headed to Borrego Springs.

The Jeep looks great up front with no issues, the rear however is entirely too stiff and sits up link a stink bug.

I should have taken the problem back to the store and Zone to rectify the situation and I didn't. Shame on me. I am certainly not asking Zone to replace anything given the fact that its been almost a year. But sense then we have moved and lost all of the data from the original install.

Like i said this was going to be long.

Here are the current ride heights (lifted) from the center of the wheel to the stock fender lip as well as the rocker heights front and rear.

L/F 22", R/F 22", L/R 21.5", R/R 22"
Rocker heights F 20.5", R21.5"

If anyone has these numbers I need to know factory ride height (measured in the same manner) in order to determine what to do with the rear, I believe if i purchase a 3" LEAF PACK i'll get the ride height and level stance at the rockers. But before i drop another $300 i'd like to know i am headed in the right direction.

Thanks for all your help!

17.5' front and 17.0" rear from the center of the rim to the bottom of the stock fender flare. The springs may be too stiff, but most budget lift kits have the wrong shocks for the lightweight XJ, resulting in a very stiff ride.

That's a huge help and explains a lot , thanks. As for the shocks we went hydraulic and not gas as, yes they tend to over do it with their valving.

Back