• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for Suggestions - My XJ is gutless

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
So, a few years back I still had the original '00 block in this thing. Motor went boom, so it now has an HO from a '95. Still using the coil rail setup. New CPS, TPS, MAP, Coil rail, 4 hole injectors, no CEL's, blah blah blah ... I mean, so much in this damn thing has been replaced except for the transmission (AW4) and PCM. And it's still pretty gutless. I mean, sure, it's a heavy rig with 37's and 1/2 ton full widths with 5.13s, but I've got other people I wheel with who have similar setups and they've got more power. Hell, my wife's '05 Rubi on 35"s has ridiculous amounts of power compared to mine.

What's the chance this is a TC/Transmission problem, or a junk PCM? Any next steps you suggest would be great. Not afraid to bust out the multimeter, so I've heard reading voltage off the TPS at certain RPMs should help, etc just don't know *how* to do it all yet =)

Thanks! :greensmok

Has it been doing this ever since engine swap ?And if so is it rebuilt or used with how many miles ? I would do a compression test to confirm engine good ! I have two 2000's with high miles and both have had exhaust valve guides worn to the point that the valves not sealing losing compression and power is gutless !!!

I had a manifold leak from loose bolts that caused gutlessness. also maybe check the injector wires to make sure they are hooked up properly. no idea on which wire goes to what on a 00' but I had a couple mismatched on my 90

Actually, it's always been gutless ... old motor and the one we swapped in. Over the course of the last 3 years of owning it I've tried a ton of stuff. That's what has me thinking it's something common between them, which means engine management, exhaust and transmission. Since the exhaust and most of engine management has been replaced, I'm only down to a few things .. PCM for example.

It also runs pretty rich (nothing scientific, but you can smell it). No CEL though.

you also need to consider all the drive train loss from the axles and tires.you are probably losing 30% or more. 160 ish hp to the tires stock you are probably getting 100 or so at the tire now if that.

Um, if it was another vehicle I'd be thinking timing.

You could try resetting the computer, or maybe buy a cheap junk yard computer to swap in. (Unless they keys are coded to the computer. Don't know what year that started.)

Back