• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BoringDaves New build (el conejo rojo)

BoringDave

NAXJA Forum User
Well I'm done with the Black Shjeep and its for sale. Not that it's a bad rig but it just doesn't fit the family like I was forcing the family to do. As a family we never take it camping unless we go to TSF. My wife hates the noise and soft top and bitches about it being to tall. My son don't like sitting in the back seat since he has no door or window. It sits in the corner of the shop most of the year.

So I find us always taking the red Jeep everywhere. We have towed it with the motorhome all over the state of Oregon. We like the fact when we get to our camp site it can be used for things other then just wheeling. Like drive to a store or even two hours one way to wildlife safari from base camp in Winchester bay. I can tow trailers with it, load it with crap then put it on the trailer to take more crap with me camping. I really like the Fact it has a automatic since I have a bad knee. The cruise, working A/C and power mirrors are a plus.

So the new build is on!

Here is the first list of parts I'm going to order soon as the Black Shjeep is sold.

ed5cec9a18e588745804c3110397fad2.jpg

Other things not on the first list will include. 4.56 gear sets with Eaton tru-tracs front and rear. Also 2low at some point.

Tell me you thoughts of my list. Keep in mind I'm getting old and never find myself using the Wrangler to even half if its capabilities.

You can always make some of the stuff you're looking at. I think it's a good list but will cost 3-6x what you get the jeep for. I look forward to seeing the finished project.

You can always make some of the stuff you're looking at. I think it's a good list but will cost 3-6x what you get the jeep for. I look forward to seeing the finished project.

This is a hobby you never recover your investment. So I'm not to worried about it.

To me this is a needed reboot.

It will be nice!

I only make the comment because you can do MORE for your money if you do some of your own stuff. The original $500 I bought my jeep for has been spent many times over to get to my current set up and I wouldn't trade the experience.

Constructive criticism:

I would go for Ruffstuff diff covers..and the frame stiffeners
I would buy the hi-lift at 4wheel parts or Craigslist
I would get both u bolt yokes at six states
I would go buy $40 in scrap steel and build both trusses

Edit, and I really don't want to turn this into an IRO bashing thread because I don't hate their stuff

But I would spring a little more money for this kit

Last edited:
I agree with Scott on Clayton's 3-Link. I have the TNT radius arms, and even though I think I've now solved a mysterious axle wrap problem, I'd avoid the issue altogether with a 3-link if I had it to do over again.

I also have an Eaton TrueTrac in my front D30. I plan to swap it out for a selectable locker. It does lock up better than the clutch type LSD in my 8.8, but that's not saying much. I've found that I have to ride the brakes so much and so hard to keep the True Trac engaged that the engine quickly overheats and I'm worried about what it's doing to the tranny.

It will be nice!

I only make the comment because you can do MORE for your money if you do some of your own stuff. The original $500 I bought my jeep for has been spent many times over to get to my current set up and I wouldn't trade the experience.

Yea I could make most if it myself since I work for a fabrication shop. But by the time I get off work after 10hrs a day the last thing I want to do more work.

Is a radius arm kit really that bad? And it isn't like I plan on running KOH. You guys have been to TSF with me I don't really do much then follow and watch. That's where I messed up with the wrangler. I should have left it sprung under and 33's.

My direction and point of view has a lot to do with quality and value..

I know a true 3 link with all Currie Johnny joints will last along time.. Maintenance free
Better leaf springs (deaver?????). And a much stouter Trac bar.

Honestly, Your list is not terrible, either way I think you will be happier, Again my statement is only based off of what "I" would do..

Is a radius arm kit really that bad? And it isn't like I plan on running KOH. You guys have been to TSF with me I don't really do much then follow and watch. That's where I messed up with the wrangler. I should have left it sprung under and 33's.

If you give me a couple weeks to test out my setup, I'll let you know if I'm absolutely anti-radius arm. As of now,
my opinion is that radius arms suck. If it turns out that my trackbar bracket was the cause of the worst wheel hop I've ever experienced, then I may revise my opinion. I suspect that the bracket was broken/loosened by the inherent wheel hop though, and that radius arms suck.

I've been running a RE long arm kit for 8 years. It is mostly in its original form since new and nothing has fell apart. I have replaced bushing but the joints have been solid.

My direction and point of view has a lot to do with quality and value..

I know a true 3 link with all Currie Johnny joints will last along time.. Maintenance free
Better leaf springs (deaver?????). And a much stouter Trac bar.

Honestly, Your list is not terrible, either way I think you will be happier, Again my statement is only based off of what "I" would do..

What kit would you suggest?

I told myself the Wrangler goes as is. That I wasn't going to take any parts off from it. But I think I'm changing my mind.

I think I'm swapping out the Roughstuff covers and front alloy axle set to the Cherokee.

I told myself the Wrangler goes as is. That I wasn't going to take any parts off from it. But I think I'm changing my mind.

I think I'm swapping out the Roughstuff covers and front alloy axle set to the Cherokee.
The 30 RuffStuff cover must live on! It's part of the JeepForceOne legacy.

Looking forward to seeing the Boring Family on the trails again. :cheers:

If you can sell that jeep in a hurry, Claytons is having a 10% off sale until 1/3/2016

That's $270 off your bill

Back