• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chugging and squeaking while accelerating

dakzimm

NAXJA Forum User
I couldn't find much info on this in the forums. I have a 98 SE with a 4.0L and automatic trans. It recently has lost a lot of power and developed a chugging issue while accelerating. It also revs high rpms and I have to let off the gas to get it to shift. This occurs in all gear except overdrive it all goes back to normal. Within the last few days there has been a squeaking noise that now accompanies the chugging and I can't seem to track it down as it only happens while driving and I can't replicate any of this when not driving. It idles fine and has no issues starting and has no codes displaying. I do plan on replacing the fuel pump because I'm pretty sure its original. Anybody have any idea of what could be causing this or other things to look into? Thanks.

The basics are always first. Are all the tune parts, including the coil, fresh ? Have you used some fuel injector cleaner ? Have you had a general look around and wiggle tested all the wire connections and wire harnesses ? Tested the fuel pressure, and the injectors ? Tested all the OBD-II engine sensors, especially the Throttle Position Sensor ? Cleaned and snugged all the ground leads and positive leads ? Checked the alternator output and Load Tested the battery ?

Yeah all the tune up parts are new within the last 2 years and working. I have used seafoam and had no change. Fuel pressure is good. All the electrical is tested and good. I haven't had a chance to pull the injectors or the tps yet but ill check that this weekend when I change the fuel pump and O2 sensors.

Almost sounds like a clogged cat. Have seen some bad enough they blow thru the gaskets and male some interesting noises. You can unbolt the exhaust before the cat and retest to check it.

Back