• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing the Transmission Mount

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
So I need to pull my transfer case to install an SYE.

I have one bolt in the tranny mount that WILL NOT budge. I've use penetrating oil, an impact air wrench, brute strength, and cuss words, but all I've done so far is crack a socket adapter, break my only 18 mm socket, and start to round off the bolt head. I'm reluctant to use a torch on it because the can of penetrating oil says "CAUTION; COMBUSTABLE. KEEP AWAY FROM HEAT OR FLAME."

What's my next step? I will need to replace the tranny mount as I snapped 3 of the 4 rusty bolts when I took the crossmember off.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Throw caution to the wind a little propane heat may loosen it up after the oil dries up you should be fine I would say.

Hit the area with a little bit of brake cleaner to get rid of excess oil and then Get some Heat.

The can says that because the penetrating oil is flammable and the can is under pressure. So it can explode. But once it's sprayed out its not all that dangerous.

Get a better 18mm socket.
And throw a 4' pipe on the end of a 1/2" breaker bar.

You should always use caution when using a blow torch, obviously. If theres standing penetrating oil... wipe it down obviously. The oil on the bottom of the bolt head isnt working obviously. Dont use brake cleaner where you intend to use heat shortly after, your not eating off it, you just need to get rid of the excess.
Heat the metal of the trans, not the bolt. If it catches fire, its a small flash, nothing to worry about, its not gonna explode.

Clean the oil off well but it won't explode or anything. Just smoke really. I would use a little heat a time on the actual bolt itself. The trans case aluminum is pretty soft, and probably won't take much. As always have a good fire extinguisher ready!

Too late now. Mount needs to come off anyway.

If I change it in the truck, does the input shaft need to come out? I can't figure out how to brake loose the nut holding on the yoke? Anytime I try to wedge something in to hold the yoke tight the transmission moves up or left or right and I can't get it loose.

I did end up getting the transmission mount off, finally.

Answering some of my questions myself - decided to do the install in the truck and was able to get the nut off the input shaft.

Took 45 minutes to get the caps and snap rings off to pull the tail cone. Thank goodness for the FSM. Tomorrow I'll break the case open and see how it all looks.

What is the secret to getting the replacement C-clip on the new output shaft?

I can't open it far enough to get it around the fatter part of the shaft, and I think I'm stretching and distorting it the more I try.

I'm using a set of snap ring pliers to pry it open - even drilled some little pilot holes in the snap ring for it to seat into to keep the pliers from slipping.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I'm just going to consider this thread the place where I go to ask a question, then later figure it out myself.

Snap ring is in place and the SYE project has ground to a halt until my new chain arrives.

Thanks!

Back