• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I remove evaporator thermistor / probe

simspace

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

I'm trying to remove the A/C evaporator from the blower motor / heater / AC housing on '91 Cherokee XJ (Laredo).
I need advice on how to remove the evaporator thermistor / sensor / probe shown in the pics below.
I have several FSMs and not one shows how it's done. They just say "remove it." But it seems to be "locked" on somehow. Any ideas?
Also, is the relay and probe all one piece? Does the entire probe come out of the evaporator? Or does the relay disconnect from the probe?

Thanks,
Chris

evap-prob4.jpg

evap-prob2.jpg

evap-prob1.jpg

Last edited:
I have been there done that and broke it. The CD based manual like yours says "remove the probe". It forget to say how to. I grabbed the sucker and pulled the heck out of it. The black plastic cover pulled right off with two wires attached (I think about 2" long) with the thermistor at the end leaving a small copper tune in the air box. I could not think of a good way to get the copper tube out so I left it.

I re-inserted the thermistor using some gasket silicone to stick the plastic box in the picture to the air box and some tape to hold it until the silicone setup. That was more than a year ago. The AC is working as good as a 19 year old AC could work (almost as good as new).

I have been there done that and broke it ...
I re-inserted the thermistor using some gasket silicone to stick the plastic box in the picture to the air box and some tape to hold it until the silicone setup. That was more than a year ago. The AC is working as good as a 19 year old AC could work (almost as good as new).

Thanks for the reply!

So I got it out. It was stuck due to corrosion.
I was able to get some needle nose pliers on the probe to twist it out. Not a great idea. :eek:
The wiring is all in tact but the probe is a tad ... bent. so I'll re-use it as a last resort,
I want to convert to R134, I'm going to look into new evaporator options since I already need to buy a condenser and drier.

Back