• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 no engagement

retarius

NAXJA Forum User
I was dropping my 89 XJ off the trailer (in the snow) to get it into the garage to get some work done. Its been sitting in storage for 6 months. It was in 4 lo and I was reversing off the trailer. As the back tires dropped off the trailer all power to the ground was lost. Jeep (AW4) felt like it was in Neutral. Moved the shifter to each gear (1-2, 3, D, N, P) and there was no engagement in any of them. Ended dragging the trailer out from under the Jeep just to get it off the trailer. Got back in the jeep and the transmission will not shift into any gear. I tried changing the transfer case to 4hi and 2wd but still nothing. Any ideas on where to start the trouble shooting?

Condition and level of the trans fluid? Gone underneath, and manually shifted the trans into any gears?
Also, confirmed that the TC is still bolted to the flexplate and nothing is broken there?

Park does not seem to engage either but I have not checked the fluid levels either. Ill have a better idea tomorrow as I dont want to lay in the 6+ inches of fresh snow. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny so Ill check those items first

Mine Transfer Case gets stuck in neutral due to rusted, worn loose linkage.

Also the TC chain might have busted or ????

I would suspect the TCase or linkage first since it was in 4-Lo at the time

Mine Transfer Case gets stuck in neutral due to rusted, worn loose linkage.

Also the TC chain might have busted or ????

I would suspect the TCase or linkage first since it was in 4-Lo at the time

Wouldnt he still have 2wd if the chain was broke.

Wouldnt he still have 2wd if the chain was broke.

Based on the way the TC operates I would agree with you.

The other point from Ecomike is the linkage. The OP should crawl under the XJ and check the position of the linkages. One of the two (TC or AW4) may have come undone.

Based on the way the TC operates I would agree with you.

The other point from Ecomike is the linkage. The OP should crawl under the XJ and check the position of the linkages. One of the two (TC or AW4) may have come undone.

I agree on both, not the chain, check for loose linkages.

All linkages look fine. I laid under it as a buddy shifted through both the Tcase and Transmission. Ended up putting the tcase and transmission in the Neutral position and then slowly pulled the jeep up the street with the truck. Jeep clicked a bit but then pulled fine. We were able to push it by hand into the garage. Initially before towing it, it felt if it was in park or in gear. We could not get it to roll either direction. Now its on level ground I'll be able to do a better inspection and drop the belly skid.

Back