• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cam Position Sensor install on 00

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to have to install a new oil drive/cam sensor on my 2000 XJ in the next few days. I can't mark down the position on the old one (long story). I've read a few guides and I'm somewhat confused on a few parts:

1. The 2000 Cherokee's don't have timing marks, so there's no way to set it to 0/TDC that way.

2. I believe that due to #1 above, your next step is to use the finger over the spark plug trick. But, do you stop right when you feel air, or when you feel air and keep going till you see the top of the piston hit max height through the hole?

3. So far I've looked at two brands of cam sensors/drives at the parts store, and neither of them have the alignment pin hole. Is this normal now? If so, do you just eyeball it using the million pictures of the internet of where it should face? Looks like ~11 o'clock.

4. Some of the guides indicate using a special socket to turn the motor clockwise, not just any old 19mm socket. Why is that and does that really matter?

5. I read on one thread that if you install it on a 2000/2001 you need to take it in to a dealer to have them flash the computer to correct timing issues afterwards because unlike a distributor it is 100% set by the computer. Is that true?

Thanks!

For finding tdc you can use a dowel or rod to put in the spark plug hole. The cyl will push it out and fall back in on its down stroke. The idle spot between the two is tdc. I always advoid using metal objects in the cylinder, could scratch the cyl walls. I don't know about the sensor questions tho..

Thanks! I thought that would be TDC. Its always tough to do that because you have to be really good about recognizing when its at the top or its on its way down again. I'll try the dowel trick though!

I forgot to mention youll have two positions that the cyl is at the top of its stroke. Once with both valves closed, which is what you want to find. Using your finger over the hole will tell you if youre on the right stroke, cause youll be on the compression stroke. Find that then use the dowel method to get right on TDC

So, if the valves are closed that means you'll get air rushing to your finger right? So, the steps would be:
1. Remove Spark Plug #1
2. Put finger over hole and crank motor clockwise.
3. Feel for air
4. Once you feel air, put dowel in hole
5. When dowel falls out/piston is at top, you are at TDC

Right?

Back