• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case input bearing differences?

Yeti87

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone,
I recently swapped a transfer case due to destroying the front output on my old case which was a 94, I purchased a used case, swapped out my input, planetary, threw in Tera 2 low and and extreme short shaft. Now I'm getting a grinding from my range for shift hub in the planetary gears. This happens in 4 Hi in 2 Hi the gears see m to slam on deceleration, acceleration. I noticed there is some slack in the fork and drive line. I did a little research and realised there are two different input bearings of varying lengths. I have gone through everything else to make sure its perfect. I believe this will be my 6th time tearing the case apart to look for the problem. So all I am asking is should switching this bearing solve my issue? I know there are three separate input lengths but I am using my old input due to the spline count so I am assuming that would have no effect on it and the planetary gear cut on mine have the rounded edges where the housing has the sharp cut however it seems to mesh well. Sorry for the long read, I would really appreciate the help as my xj has been sitting in the garage for ten months, after a long overhaul and this is my final issue that's preventing me from driving it again. I am starting to pull my hair out over this :mad:

If the bearing was longer I don't think you could get the snap ring on the input gear. I might be wrong but 94 was the year they changed the planetary gear cut angles.

That would be true, but there are three different input shaft lengths as well. Running the wrong one can cause tranny damage hence why I am using my old one, and spline count obviously. But I am assuming the input is long enough for the snap to for but not long enough to position the planetary for proper gear engagement, at this point I'm going to take it apart and compare it regardless I'll post pics when I get it apart later in the week for those interested.

The bearing is matched to the input shaft, IIRC.

The gear cut on the low-range planetary was changed in 94. Older gears had a square cut, newer gears have a sharp cut (here's some pics http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/np231-upgrades-1106630/index3.html#post11037859). They will make noise when mixed. This affects the annulus gear that's pressed into the case half, the planetary assembly, and the input shaft, all mesh together. They all have to be the same type.

Last edited:
When I had mine rebuilt by a shop they used the wrong bearing ie:thin, it could move just enough
to cause grinding and slipage. I rebuilt it with the thicker bearing and have had no problems since.

http://www.jbconversions.com/products/np231j/rebuild.php

The input bearings of the NP231J are configured one of two ways. Due to inconsistencies in assembly numbers, it is difficult to predetermine the input bearing type on pre-1995 applications of the NP231J.

Hi guys, sorry for the late response, I had to wait for the bearing to come in. I've included a picture of the bearing difference below. I installed the thicker bearing last night and everything seems to work fine now, that being said I only drove it once around the block as I have no clutch pressure so the master and slave will be replaced tomorrow due to a bad leak. I just wanted to update for anyone else that might have this problem in the future.
419b07341e12dceb3caa2b1add00bd69.jpg

Back