• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine stumbled/died, then ran perfectly?

fishinpolejoe

NAXJA Forum User
96 4.0 XJ 4wd Sport 298K miles

Top End Rebuild @ 200K miles
TPS and IAC have less than 25K miles on them
Coolant Temp Sensor and Temp sender have about 40K miles on them
Plugs and Wires have less than 15K miles on them
Alternator has less than 25K miles on it
Cap/rotor - unknown age - 45K miles + at least

No prior engine trouble aside from a high idle that turned out to be a loose manifold bolt. Engine has always ran strong and smooth and starts easily.

Conditions:
Outside temperature - 34 degrees Fahrenheit
Event occurred on level ground
Engine temp had been running at a normal 195 degrees
Oil pressure was around 38psi in park, 50 psi driving - no fluctuation
Voltage seemed normal
Running non-ethanol gas as always
Gas tank hasn't gotten less than 3/4 full sense it got cold outside to avoid condensation.

My Jeep had been sitting for two days. I started the motor and let it warm up for 15 minutes. It started easily and ran normally. I drove three miles to a store and left it running while I ran inside, maybe three minutes. I drove to another store, parked, and turned the engine off. I came back within three minutes and started it again with no issues. I drove less than a mile to another store and left the Jeep parked with the motor off for 20 - 25 minutes at most. The engine was still partially warm when I came back out. This time when I started it, it fired right up but I could feel that the engine wasn't running smoothly right away. It got rougher and then the engine started stumbling and died. I'd say it died about fifteen seconds after I started it. No warning lights came on during that time. I turned the key off, waited a few seconds and started it back up. It started/ran perfectly. I sat there with the motor running for four or five minutes just to make sure it was okay. Not a single issue, the engine idled smoothly. I drove 8 miles back home and had no more issues.

The only problem I can think of with the motor right now is that it very slowly looses coolant. I believe I'm losing it through the engine during warm up. I started it the other day when it was about 55 degrees out and noticed there was a little vapor coming out of the exhaust until it got warm.

The only thing I can think of is that some coolant might have leaked inside the motor which made it run rough?

I drove it just last week under pretty much the exact same circumstances and had no trouble.

Ideas anyone?

Back