• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Really High Idle

Briman2021

NAXJA Forum User
First of all, this is on a 97, 4.0, auto, basically stock engine-wise except a cat back exhaust.

I mostly drive my jeep in the winter, so it sits most of the summer to save on gas money, so I haven't really driven it in the last 6 months or so. I did move it around the driveway, and I replaced a water pump about a month and a half ago, and when I drove it those times it seemed to run just fine. I did an oil change on it middle of october to get it ready for daily driver duty when snow fell, and again, everything was running pretty smoothly.

I just went to fire it up tonight and it started idling at about 2100 rpm.

I shut it off pretty much right away not wanting to rev the piss out of a cold engine. I checked the throttle body with the truck off, and the throttle plate moves smoothly, and returns to the closed position like it should, so I'm thinking I can cross that off the list. Also, nothing has been touched since I had it running smoothly, didn't touch any vacuuum lines, intake manifold, etc.

What should I check next? It just seems really weird that it would be running fine, then after being parked for a month decide to start acting up all of the sudden.

Last edited:
Bad injector o'rings, nicks, or sealing issues from carbon build up is a way to often overlooked issue that is an easy fix.

Back