• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horn Stuck On!

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
So - yesterday my horn came on while driving for about 1 minute then when off. Now this has happened twice today too. I have read a lot of posts on it and am trying to diagnose the problem.

Is there a way I can disconnect the horn while I try to solve this. Its my DD and won't have time for a few days.

Is there a fuse or relay I can pull to disconnect. Or a connection by the horn itself. Please be specific? I have seen a lot of posts that say "I pulled the fuse" or relay, but I don't know which one it is. I don't see any fuses or relays labeled "horn." And I don't see any numbers associated with the fuses. I have a fuse diagram, looking in fusebox by left foot and in engine compartment. Can't find it. There is also a strip of 3 relays hanging by my left foot, with only two relays in it.

Any ideas/help? Thanks!...driving me nuts of course ahhhh

1991 XJ sport 4.0 5 speed

ps. I have been getting a slight electric shock when I touch my jeep for the first time the last couple of days. Not sure if this is related, but it is a new thing. Anyway, thx-

Should be two horns.. one each located under the front clip easily accessible from the wheel well. Each will have a wire running to it that you can unplug. This doesn't solve the problem as to why its happening but at least your horns wont go off anymore.

Mine did the same thing along with a "NO BUS" condition. Turned out I had a pinched wire grounding out on an add on DVD player someone installed and used that circuit. Until you find the source just unplug the horn lead going into each horn as mentioned above.

Can you please be very specific about this "horn relay." Where is it, EXACTLY. they are not labeled.

I also do not see any wires leading under my bumper, nor do I see the horns themselves. Are they behind the flaps? I don't see any wires. It's a 1991 sport.

I do think I have a short somewhere but can't figure out how to unhook horn until I can track it down.

On my '96 the horns are mounted to the fender braces. These are sheet metal brackets that run between the radiator support and the fenders. Imagine dropping a guillotine blade down across the front of your Jeep right in the same plane as the radiator itself. That should be right about where the horns are in each fender. They are probably hidden from view by the plastic inner fenders.

The only help I can offer on the relay is to suggest you put a finger tip on a relay and push the horn button. If you can feel the relay click try pulling that one. If not, try another one. If nothing else you will probably get the attention of someone who will come over to help you look.

Can you please be very specific about this "horn relay." Where is it, EXACTLY. they are not labeled.

I also do not see any wires leading under my bumper, nor do I see the horns themselves. Are they behind the flaps? I don't see any wires. It's a 1991 sport.

I do think I have a short somewhere but can't figure out how to unhook horn until I can track it down.

Facing the relay box, it is the one on the lower left (lower right facing your dash).

rb-211 sorry, im still a bit confused…there is a strip of relays hanging under the drivers side dash. There are only two relays in it.. is that the one you are talking about? maybe its come loose. Hard to tell which ones left or right..ill try em both i guess thx

There aren't any hanging relays under mine - the ones I am referring to are mounted to the lower dash, but the relay center can be un-bolted, which might explain why yours are hanging (if they are the same as the ones I am referring to). Depending on which options your jeep has (power locks, rear defogger, radio illumination, etc) that would determine how many relays are plugged into it. The relay box is about 3X5 and has a decent sized wiring harness coming out of the side of it. It will have sockets for 4 mini relays and 6 micro relays.

Back