• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire chains or siping?

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I have nexen roadian mt. Tires which have no siping whatsoever(which I like for off-roading) but hopefully this Christmas I'll be heading up to omak, WA to see my grandparents and also to have them meet my daughter, might take a day to go over to Leavenworth, WA also to explore the town.
My question is with Washington winter weather(ice, snow, winds) should I sipe my tires(center lugs) or save the siping and just get chains? I have my LSD rear diff and the locker up front.

Sipe!

And in winter weather I would air down to 20psi around town (my opinion)

When I was living up in Spotucky, just had siped tires and no issues. This included my Dak and my XJ's.
Not sure if they do it anymore, but last I knew Les Schwaub offered a full refund at the end of the season for chains that were still NIB.

Well if I sipe, would just the center lugs siped be enough? Or should I do the whole tread? My route would be taking me through the gorge and up towards Yakima to avoid the mountains as much as possible
9c249f2b60ae367788cd903863355928.jpg

I've done driving around town in snowy Icy roads but this is my first long trip in winter(summer is nwfest)
Would getting my tires siped and just carrying chains be a good back up? I know omak has some hills which would be my biggest worry

When I used to go to Yakima, Wenatchee and that area with my dad in the winter, the best traction we had was with a set of siped tires. We would cruise right through the passes, no problem (3/4 ton diesel)

I would sipe but the chains are really personal preference I think. To me they are a pain in the ass and slow you way down but with the family the peace of mind may be worth it just to have them with you....

but with the family the peace of mind may be worth it just to have them with you....

That's where my mind is at right now, I'm on a budget and don't want to spend more than I need to but on the other hand it would be nice knowing if shit hit the fan, I have chains to get grip.
Wondering if I should buy chains and return at the end of the season or buy used for much cheaper and just have a pair.
Or just forgo the chains and run siped at 20 psi the whole way? Or at least air down once I actually get to that point?

Schwabs told me they won't sipe used tires it will screw up the machine.
That being said I've driven all over Washington on Big horns and these Crappy toyo all terrain's I know longer have.
I own three running jeeps and 6 sets of quality chains I've only ever used them on my wheeler to get out of a deep ditch.

Siped tires on my Honda seem good in our Washington snow.

12310685_10206482962890502_2585557392096662415_n.jpg

I've siped my last two sets of tires. In my opinion siping really wakes up your standard mud terrain tread for slick conditions. I mostly noticed the difference on hard snow packed roads going to my snow wheeling destinations. Places where I use to fish tail and slide around, I could now keep my momentum up much better. I chose to do center lugs only, because my tires also see a lot of rock time and I didn't want to risk chunking.

With that being said, I'd just carry chains for worst case scenario (ice), and drive smart on your trip. If you have to use four wheel drive, take extra precaution on corners, especially with your front locker. People will understand when they see your Oregon plates. :D

As Torx mentioned, a front locker in 4wd can be a handful and difficult in super slick conditions ..

Here's a result of a front auto-locker on ice

As Torx mentioned, a front locker in 4wd can be a handful and difficult in super slick conditions ..

That looks like quite the booboo every one Ok?

Looks more like driver error, I've never had a issue with auto lockers

locker was engaged as I rounded the corner, by the time I realized what was goin on, it was too late to correct..

Sure, driver error.. But that would not of happened if I had an open diff..

Doesn't mean lockers are dangerous, it just means characteristics change and I don't advise cruising down a winding road in 4wd all willy nilly on a slick road

There's a reason you can't drive around with an auto-locker in "front dig". It's like trying to control a wild bull

That's not my Jeep, but I know that feeling...

Sipe them. I got mine done years ago at Discount. They talked me out of it a few times, 'Michael' talked me into it. It was night and day for my snow runs.
But, ice is ice. Never liked MT's on ice.

Those tires have seen several thousand miles traveling on hard packed snow and ice covered roads. From Boring to Bend and traveling though the gorge during the worst winters Oregon can throw at them. Also followed Dustin around TSF in two feet of snow one year with those same tires. Never had a single problem getting to where I had to be. Well, except following Dustin. He had to drag me past crushers. I did run them aired down maybe 15 to 20 psi and carried chains just in case.

Like stated above. Any sane tire shop won't sipe a used tire. The blade that machine uses is very sharp and very expensive to replace. I worked in the tire service industry for several years. Rule of thumb was a no no to used tires. They can have anything embedded deep in the tread that can't be seen but will destroy a blade almost immediately.

After all that, I still have the "quick fit" chains that fit those tires. I can't give them to you because they also fit my motorhome. But I'm willing to loan them to you. They are new never used because I never needed them.

Those tires have seen several thousand miles traveling on hard packed snow and ice covered roads. From Boring to Bend and traveling though the gorge during the worst winters Oregon can throw at them. Also followed Dustin around TSF in two feet of snow one year with those same tires. Never had a single problem getting to where I had to be. Well, except following Dustin. He had to drag me past crushers. I did run them aired down maybe 15 to 20 psi and carried chains just in case.

Like stated above. Any sane tire shop won't sipe a used tire. The blade that machine uses is very sharp and very expensive to replace. I worked in the tire service industry for several years. Rule of thumb was a no no to used tires. They can have anything embedded deep in the tread that can't be seen but will destroy a blade almost immediately.

After all that, I still have the "quick fit" chains that fit those tires. I can't give them to you because they also fit my motorhome. But I'm willing to loan them to you. They are new never used because I never needed them.

I'll take you up on that offer Dave! Ya I'll just need them for this trip for that extra safety precaution but afterwards I don't have a reason to have chains. Biggest thing will be those chains will give my gf a reassurance of the trip

For those with hubs, make sure to keep one unlocked if in 4 wheel drive and driving on snow.

I always thought about siping tires, but I've always heard you'll go through your rubber faster. Any experience on that subject?

Also, anyone know how much it costs to have a store do it compared to just buying a hot knife?

I haven't been in WA since 2007, but I think it was around 10-15$/tire typically. Places that say that they "can't" sipe used tires, you shoudl stay away from. Mostly just ass hats being lazy. I understand in some cases where there actually may be an exception.
AS far as actual siping goes, on road you should see some kind of improvement in treadwear if anything.
Depending on the tire, certain types of wheeling/off-road will affect chunking and such on the lugs.
For those with hubs, make sure to keep one unlocked if in 4 wheel drive and driving on snow.

I always thought about siping tires, but I've always heard you'll go through your rubber faster. Any experience on that subject?

Also, anyone know how much it costs to have a store do it compared to just buying a hot knife?

If your just going to Leavenworth, they plow the roads well. I would just go slow and take chains.

I had my gears done in Cashmere back in January, and my ride back to Bellevue while the work was being done was in a 2wd on highway 97 (the road your taking). 2 feet of snow fell on that trip and traction was no problem. I'm pretty sure when the state requires chains you have to have them even if your tires are siped.

Back