• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone know what the "A" and/or "B" means in a part number?

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
Like the title says...

When looking for parts I will often see the part I'm searching for by number with either an "A" or a "B" or both "AB" added to the end of the part number.

My past experience has been that it's the same part but has been updated somehow.

The reason I ask, is I had to replace the viscous fan clutch on my '98. I needed it right away, so I bought one at O-Reily's. It's noisy as heck and I hate it. But it was also inexpensive, like $35.

Mopar parts sites want about $110, but I found one on Amazon with the same part number + the "AB" at the end for $87...

It's a revision number that increases alphabetically as the number of revisions goes up.

For example, AF is a later part revision than an AA part.

I wouldn't make a blanket assumption when parts of an assembly need to fit together but often they work fine. In other cases the part number will roll to a new part number altogether. Best to check the part descriptions for notes, talk to the dealer, etc.

jeeptec works for Chryco. Maybe message him and ask.
CHryco is terrible when it comes to part numbers and such. Definitely do NOT assume.

In THEORY, if you go by Amazon's "Does it fit your vehicle" then it should be fine.

They are NOT always interchangeable. I can think of a few instances where it's a new part/application.

53007449 & 53007449AD hubs, one only works up to the changeover in 99, the second is the later one. You can't interchange these unless you swap rotors, too.

For WJ's, the cooling fans are 52079528AB, and 52079528AD. They do not interchange as one is for 99-03 and the other is 04 only (iirc). Different number of wires from the motors.

Generally, most numbers do supersede and work...but not always. Chrysler is wonky.

They are NOT always interchangeable. I can think of a few instances where it's a new part/application.

53007449 & 53007449AD hubs, one only works up to the changeover in 99, the second is the later one. You can't interchange these unless you swap rotors, too.

For WJ's, the cooling fans are 52079528AB, and 52079528AD. They do not interchange as one is for 99-03 and the other is 04 only (iirc). Different number of wires from the motors.

Generally, most numbers do supersede and work...but not always. Chrysler is wonky.

Thank you! Aside from this, their PN system makes no F'n sense as opposed to most other manuf.

When you apply an update to a PCM you actually change the part number and it normally increments with each update. My 99 rolled off the assembly like with an AD computer and I have updated it to an AF part number via updates. If it was done at a dealer they would attach one of these stickers to the PCM letting someone know that it's been updated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CHRYSLE...hXp5KFPX6wiRYyNLuJA&item=331540165501&vxp=mtr

Back