• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What does this plug on my engine harness go to?

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
Harness is from a '98 XJ. There's 2 plugs that come off the front of the injector harness on the 98. On my 00 it only had the one plug and not this long one, so I have no clue what it goes to!

Picture:

w9pCJDll.jpg

(Backstory: Switching from '00 to '98 harness, distributor, coil, PCM, etc)

Last edited:
Ahhh, so its in a different part of the harness on this one. Front or rear or did the 98's only have 1 before the cat?

Perfect. so I assume the plug that I showed goes to the one on the manifold, the there's one off the back of the harness that goes to the one after the cat? Appreciated!

The forward O2 harness on the manifold is routed inside the same squarish plastic tube that houses the injector wires and temperature sensor wires. It then exits at the front of
the plastic tube, and is then routed behind the power steering pump. It turns downward
where it passes through a wire harness hold down (rubber lined, "P" shaped, that is
bolted to the block). The connector is then clipped on to a thin metal bracket. The thin
metal bracket itself is fastened to the engine block utilizing an oil pan flange screw.

Be sure that the forward O2 sensor wires are clear of the exhaust manifold pipes!

The rear harness begins at one of the 3 connectors that are near to the transmission
dip stick. It then crosses over to the driver's side of the car, and then rearward, along the top of the transmission, then continues along the driver's side of the transmission.
Near to the speedometer sensor, it is then fastened on the upper inside of the transmission tunnel with metal clips. It then crosses over to the passenger side of the car just forward where the parking cable exits into the tunnel. The connector is fastened to a goofy-looking plastic bracket. The plastic bracket is bolted to the transmission tunnel on the passenger side. The rear 02 sensor wire connector meets the wire
harness at the plastic bracket.

Be sure that the rear O2 sensor wires are securely fastened so that it stays clear of the
drive shaft and exhaust pipes! Other owners have reported their engines suddenly
going bonkers only to discover that the rear O2 sensor wires have been rubbing
against the drive shaft, U-joint, or touched an exhaust pipe, and caused a short.

That is the most incredibly clear and amazing description I think I've ever seen someone give on here. I * really * appreciate it!!

Back