• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Shift Control Solenoid Prices

8lugnuts

NAXJA Forum User
I need some advice or your experience buying the AW4 shift control solenoids. I've got a 2001 XJ Limited 4.0L. NP 231 J. I need to replace one of them but after searching the major franchise auto parts stores and finding ONE solenoid costs over $250 (over $300 from NAPA) I decided to look on eBay. There I found what looks like the same exact solenoid for for around $60-$70. I currently see all three + pan gasket & filter for < $100. I'm seeing multiple eBay vendors/sellers selling the same kit for around the same price.

How can these prices be true? How can multiple eBay stores(sellers) sell all three solenoids plus the tranny service kit for LESS than the cost of one solenoid at NAPA or other major auto part stores? The parts on eBay look exactly the same as the parts online at the auto parts stores. Has anyone purchased these on eBay? I don't understand the huge price difference for the same part so naturally I'm suspicious.

I appreciate your feedback.

'07 GC Laredo 4.7L AWD E85 Flex
'01 Silver XJ Limited 4.0 4DR 4X4 (Silver Bullet)
'96 Yota T100 3.4L SR5 X-Cab 4x4 (Old Blue Mule)
'93 Yota 4Runner SR5 3.0L 4x4 (Older blue mule)
'88 Gold AMC XJ "Pioneer: 4.0 4DR 4X4 ('ol Goldy)

Have you priced them from jeep or Toyota? I personally wouldn't buy any kind of electrical replacement part off eBay.

RockAuto has them for $150 ea and also a kit for $160 with all THREE solenoids.
Perhaps the markup is much higher than we think?

I found one Mopar branded solenoid for >$300. The solenoids in that Rock Auto Parts kit look nothing like the original ones but the other ones they show look like the OEM part, but they are > $150. Look on ebay for this Mopar part number: 83504043 and you can find it for < $70 brand new. Then there are entire kits including all three(generic brand) + gasket & filter for < $100. I see different brands like Crown, Airtex/Wells. So I still have not yet made sense of the huge price differences and different brands.

I'm hoping someone who replaced theirs will see this post and respond with the brand and cost they used.

I appreciate your input.

'07 GC Laredo 4.7L AWD E85 Flex
'01 Silver XJ Limited 4.0 4DR 4X4 (Silver Bullet)
'96 Yota T100 3.4L SR5 X-Cab 4x4 (Old Blue Mule)
'93 Yota 4Runner SR5 3.0L 4x4 (Older blue mule)
'88 Gold AMC XJ "Pioneer: 4.0 4DR 4X4 ('ol Goldy)

Surprised that Cal has not spoken on this topic yet.
Best/least expensive would would to pull solenoids from a JY trans, maybe from CL or something.
They are not super common to fail , but the aftermarket replacement seem to be crap.

If I can get genuine Mopar branded solenoids for a reasonable price I will get all three but I can't see spending $600-900 for all of them. I don't know anyone who has replaced these so I don't know what's good .vs. junk. The more I read about the AW4 the more confusing it gets. Seems this trans was used in lots of different cars, even Saabs? I hope I don't get the wrong 'noids and find out after the pan is off.

I took some pics of my trans but I cannot find much info about it based on the case stamp # or the sticker codes. Any info on this is appreciated.

80-01xj_trans1_d475c321bb66dff213f4e55597228e3a76afa0a4.jpg

80-01xj_trans2_4390319bc2d8d66df4f104e51412096eaa00861b.jpg

I didnt even notice this thread before, but yes, as Johnnie said, find a junkyard solenoid.

The aftermarket ones are *ALL* crap. :)

Under pressure (high RPM and load, say, passing on the freeway) they will pop open and shift for you. A number of times we were pulling hard in 2nd or 3rd and suddenly found ourselves in 1st gear and looking 7000+ RPM's in the eyes.

We fixed the problem by putting 300,000 mile junkyard solenoids into our built race transmissions, and have had absolutely no problems with them.

Back