• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird noise when I let off the gas

mamhpremier

NAXJA Forum User
I drive a 1992 4.0l xj with a manual transmission. When I accelerate up to about 2500rpm and then let of I get a weird noise from the center of my engine compartment. Sounds like something is rattling. I also have a lifter tick but the noises are very different. There is a video of the sound here https://youtu.be/bXGyzZRdwI8

The metallic noise was my keys but directly after that is the noise. I accelerate then at 5 seconds I let off and it almost sounds like a flopping piece of thin metal, definitely coming from engine not U-joints

Make another vid without your keychain. And do it for a bit longer. Cant make out anything.

I think I know the noise though. I have 1991 5speed. Have never pinpointed it. Like a lever or cable related to the throttle that hangs loose and rattles when you let off the gas. Really love to identify it.

Did you ever pinpoint this sound. Have same on my '91. Sounds like its coming from under the front passenger side. Differntial? I have the vacuum disconnect d30.

'91 sport 4.0 5speed.

Any other symptoms?
Clutch chatter?
Rough engagement or disengagement?
Could be throwout bearing related or broken pressure plate dampener spring but cant hear anything in vid

Well i had similar symptoms in my 4.0 v6 ranger (ohv motor) where id be in gear, 2500 rpms or higher and letting of the throttle or very light load in hear it would rattle from the engine, ended up pulling the motor to find that all my rod journals were shot and the valvetrain was severely worn.. A rebuild took care of my noise. Whats your oil pressure sitting at? And sorry i cant hear anything in that vid.

Back