• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To Remove Torque Converter Bolts If Engine Is Seized?

cavalier

NAXJA Forum User
Seized my engine and I'm trying to remove it. But those four bolts that hold the TC to the flex plate.. I can only access two. In order to get to the two at the top, I'd have to turn my engine over, no?

Seeing as it's seized, I can't do that.

Any suggestions?

Drop the oil pan and disconnect the connecting rod(s) from the crank.

When I had to pull a hydrolocked motor, I basically stripped the engine down to the short block and pulled the pistons. Then I pulled the block out.

Last edited:
Remove the engine trans and TC as a combo. Then take off the trans by itself. It'll get fluid all over, but you should be able to get at the top converter bolts

pull the cps and starter. Unbolt the tranny. The engine with TC can be pulled forward and free of the tranny.

I pulled a 4.0/trans/TC combo out the other night as a unit.

Even out of the Jeep, I still found no way to remove the trans without getting to all four of those little buggers.

There are a couple of interconnected dust shields or something covering up the plate and the bolts. I tried to remove those to get at the bolts, but couldn't find a way.

Going in through the oil pan as mentioned above seems like a good idea.

The TC will unbolt and slide right off the back of the trans, but that has nothing to do with unbolting the trans from the block.

I pulled a 4.0/trans/TC combo out the other night as a unit.

Even out of the Jeep, I still found no way to remove the trans without getting to all four of those little buggers.

There are a couple of interconnected dust shields or something covering up the plate and the bolts. I tried to remove those to get at the bolts, but couldn't find a way.

Going in through the oil pan as mentioned above seems like a good idea.

The TC will unbolt and slide right off the back of the trans, but that has nothing to do with unbolting the trans from the block.

As soon as you remove all the bolts between the engine and transmission, you can slide them apart with the torque converter (TC) still attached to the flexplate. Going through the oil pan is totally unnecessary.

As soon as you remove all the bolts between the engine and transmission, you can slide them apart with the torque converter (TC) still attached to the flexplate. Going through the oil pan is totally unnecessary.

Sure, it may be unnecessary just to pull the motor out, but what about once the motor is out and he plans to keep his TC?

Sure, it may be unnecessary just to pull the motor out, but what about once the motor is out and he plans to keep his TC?
Once the motor is out, he will have access to the bolts.

Back