• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Read drum brake lines, steel tubing source needed

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I need a fast source for the rear brake tube lines, ready made if possible, or specs for the raw materials tube size and fittings specs, for an 87 Wagoneer XJ with the D-44 rear end. I need to replace just the lines that run from the pipe T to each wheel cylinder on the rear drum brakes.

Thanks.

it's all SAE. 3/16 IIRC.

take a wheel cylinder to the parts store, it's all the same size fitting as that.

Your local parts store should spec that and have various lines in different lengths available. You just bend them how you need to

Aside from some of the funky fittings at the proportioning valve and master cylinder, it's all 3/8-24 threaded double invert flares and 3/16 tube. Make sure you get 3/8-24 preflared lines if you get preflared sections, because M10x1.0 is real good at impersonating it and they end up in the wrong spot on the rack all the time, but won't go more than about 2 threads in before stripping the damn fittings.

Also, make sure to use a double flare not a single flare, and no compression fittings. Learned the latter the hard way, the former the easy way...

edit: depending on if they are the same as the lines for an 8.25 or d35, you may be able to get those lines prebent and flared at the dealer for a nominal sum still. IIRC I paid like 6 and 15 dollars each for mine. Really reasonable, surprisingly. The part numbers you want are 5200 3502 (long side) and 5200 0167. I'm not seeing them available anymore but it's worth a try.

Last edited:
NAPA has "armored" brake lines in pre-cut lengths, its the stuff with the wire "gravel guard" coiled around the line. Once you find the fitting size, go measure the lines, call NAPA they will order what you need.

I would suppose that in Texas, most of the XJ's in the junkyard will have good condition brake lines.

Back