• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well got a new problem battery dies with key on

97xjnova

NAXJA Forum User
Well got a new problem battery dies with key on.

So today fixed my heater door cable was stuck and also off the pivot point. While doing that found the blower speed control was melted so went out picked up a new controller and while working on it was listening to radio the radio cut off so charged up the battery put the key in and went to start it and it started I'm like ok I killed it no problem but then it died in like 3 min not running it has a stock stereo

Is there a way to do a parasitic draw test with key on

Hope this makes sense

How long did you charge it for? How old is the battery? Did you have the key in ACC. Was you running the blower the first time you killed it?

I'd get a load test on the battery first, before worrying about parasitic load. Sounds like the battery is tired.

Or, move to upstate NY, Chicago or other cold country. you'll find out if your battery is any good in about two months.

David Bricker / SYR

I jumped it of my other jeep

I believe the blower was on for a bit and then turned it off

Going to go to advance and have batt checked in am

So you just jumped it and ran it then shut it down? How long did you run it for after jumping? It takes time to charge a battery. If you have a charger put it on for about 6 hours on a slow charge.Then see if it well stay charged.

i agree, your battery is just dead. probably weak maybe a dead cell.
you ran the radio for a while but you forget that your interior lights were also on at the same time.
my old ZJ would do exactly what you are talking about until it got a good charge.
it wouldnt idle after a jumpstart for at least a few minutes of driving until the charge started to catch up and could supply enough juice to the ECM.
winter's coming... get yourself a new battery if it doesnt ace the load test.

It only had 5 volts after driving to the parts store? How Long Was The drive? Did you shut it down when you were there and if so, did it require a jump to restart it?

Back