• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio cuts out at high volume

outracing

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. So I was wondering if anyone else had this issue. When my engine is off and I turn my volume up on the radio, it cuts out. I have had this happen with 2 different 99 xj's. Any suggestions on how I can correct this issue? I am guessing the radio is just not getting enough power. Maybe upgrading the power in wire would help? I guess that would be the red wire? Thanks everyone.

Depending on how loud you are driving it, it might be a thermal safety shutdown.

I don't think it is a thermal thing because it is like it loses all power then comes right back on then works for a second and shuts down unless I turn it down. Plus it only happens if the engine is not running.

Power loss, battery cannot keep up, the solution is to not run the radio without the car running ;)

I still have a drive-in movie theater. It is awesome to sit with the volume up unfortunately I cannot have my car running.

get an optima yellow or blue top battery

Another thing you neglected to mention, stock or aftermarket head unit? Maybe there is a speaker grounding out or something.
If aftermarket, run the main power directly to the battery with a fuse.

Checked the grounding and all the other wiring. I was getting 12.4 volts at the yellow (constant power) wire and 12.2 at the red (trigger) wire. I decided to run a wire from the battery to the yellow wire. I used 12 gauge 100% copper wire. Have not had a problem since. My radio in this Jeep is factory, but as I mentioned, I had another jeep do the same thing. It was aftermarket radio in the other 99 xj.

High volume with the alternator not running must be enough to pull the voltage down low enough to trip the low voltage switch in the radio.

Interesting. The heavier gauge wire may be enough to keep it from being an issue.

Back