• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Axle Shaft Interchange

bigalpha

Maybe my google-fu is poor, but I can't find a comprehensive list of axle shaft swaps. I've seen that some TJ's will have shafts with 297 joints that will swap, along with some Grand Cherokees.

I currently have a 1992 XJ, non-ABS, non-disconnect. My understanding is that this D30 has the 260 u-joints. Swapping out the axle shafts could get me the 297 joints, which are stronger.

So the extent of what I think is accurate is below. Can someone expand this list?

XJ
1991-1995 with ABS have 297 joints.
1996-1999.5 all shafts have 297 joints
1999.5+ require hub swaps

Maybe my google-fu is poor, but I can't find a comprehensive list of axle shaft swaps. I've seen that some TJ's will have shafts with 297 joints that will swap, along with some Grand Cherokees.

I currently have a 1992 XJ, non-ABS, non-disconnect. My understanding is that this D30 has the 260 u-joints. Swapping out the axle shafts could get me the 297 joints, which are stronger.

So the extent of what I think is accurate is below. Can someone expand this list?

XJ
1991-1995 with ABS have 297 joints.
1996-1999.5 all shafts have 297 joints
1999.5+ require hub swaps

correct, but no hub swap required for any years.
ZJs will swap. most have CV joints though.
all TJ's had 297 joints and all D30 shafts are interchangeable.

My 1991 stock XJ shafts had the 260 joints (small), I bought a set of TJ shafts with the 297 joints (large) which I have been running ever since. I'm not 100% sure about ZJ/WJ with the alum housings but AFAIK they are the same too.

Back